Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lube Job ?'s

So after my last run in Big Bear, I noticed all sorts of new squeeks, creeks, rattles, etc, especially when I'm turning at low speeds. I don't really know what I'm looking at, but I crawled under the Jeep and looked around and everything looked in order . . . nothing seemed to be bent and the scrapes, etc seemed to be in good places built for abuse. I figured greasing her up after a hard day of wheelin' would only help so I went out and bought a grease gun and a needle attachment. Now I just need to know what to do with it! . . . anybody know where all the nipples are, how many there are, as well as other places that could use a squirt,etc on a 06 Rubicon? Also, is there such a thing as too much grease, is there a recommended amount and/or frequency, or should I just go to town? :dunno:
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
    So after my last run in Big Bear, I noticed all sorts of new squeeks, creeks, rattles, etc, especially when I'm turning at low speeds. I don't really know what I'm looking at, but I crawled under the Jeep and looked around and everything looked in order . . . nothing seemed to be bent and the scrapes, etc seemed to be in good places built for abuse. I figured greasing her up after a hard day of wheelin' would only help so I went out and bought a grease gun and a needle attachment. Now I just need to know what to do with it! . . . anybody know where all the nipples are, how many there are, as well as other places that could use a squirt,etc on a 06 Rubicon? Also, is there such a thing as too much grease, is there a recommended amount and/or frequency, or should I just go to town? :dunno:
    Schmo,
    Damn you opened the door for so many digs, I just can't do it! :dunno:

There are a bunch of points on the steering and suspension that need to be lubed on a regualr basis. It's a good idea to lube at least every other run, depending on how much water and mud or sand you go through, and how much you flex the suspension. If you have the standard grease gun, give 1-3 pumps of grease to each of the following:
    • Tie rod ends (inner and outer)
    • Drag link end
    • Pitman arm end
    • Upper and lower ball joints (some ball joints are sealed so don't have zirks to grease them)
    • Depending on what suspension you have (lift kit or stock) there will be grease zirks on the ends of the UCA and LCA ends on both front and rear axles. The ends that need grease are usually at the frame mount end but can be at both.
    • If you have greaseable type U-joints there will be a zirk on one side of the joint. You'll have to spin the drive shaft to get to it. The slip yoke (if you have one) on the drive shafts will also have grease fittings. Again, not too much grease, you just want to replace what gets squished out when the joint flexes.
    On the ball joints, tie rod and drag link ends, including the Pitman arm end, pump the grease gun 1-3 times or until you see the rubber boot on the joint just start to puff up. Don't pump until grease comes out, Not good. If the boots are torn (this happens a lot), grease will come out. You should replace the boots as soon as you can. Water can get into the joint and rust it out fast.
    Give it a try,
    Rat
    Last edited by RAT; 08-11-07, 10:32 AM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Just run your hands all over and when you find the pointy part give it a squeeze,some are different in size, some are hiden,but keep feelin around they will pop up:censor::censor::haha:
      The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
        Schmo,
        Damn you opened the door for so many digs, I just can't do it! :dunno:
        Rat
        Thanks Rat! . . . I figured the title of the thread would help draw a bit of attention . . . part of my plan as I was hoping to get a quick response so I could slide under there and lube her up today! Have you ever thought about teaching a "How To" type of class for newbies like me that don't have a clue??? Or know of any “Jeeps for Dummies” type of thing? It might help if I learned what more than two of the items on the list you provided actually are!!! For today, I guess I’ll take freewaydan’s advice and just feel around for something pointy and give it a squeeze!!! I'm glad I checked before I just went to town and used up the whole tube of grease!

Comment

Just don't give the brake bleeder valve (it looks like a fitting) any grease!!!!

Here is a link: http://jeep.us41.org/lube/index.html
          Last edited by freewaydan; 08-11-07, 12:35 PM.
          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

I like your explanation Danny. Pretty good, considering YOU OWN A FREAKING AUTO SHOP!!! Hahahahaaaa... Feel around... are we in a topless bar for the seeing impaired??

Ohh almost forgot, thanks for the link. Nice job...

Rat
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks Danny . . . That link really helps . . . now I know what I'm looking at!

"Greasing Your Jeep:
              This is the easiest job you can possibly perform on your Jeep. It's deady easy, brainless, and almost impossible to screw up. "

Sounds like the perfect job for me to start with!!!

Comment

So after my last run in Big Bear, I noticed all sorts of new squeeks, creeks, rattles, etc, especially when I'm turning at low speeds.
                without adding to all the PG13 input provided by the others, I'll mention that you will get used to the squeaks, creaks, and rattles. only time will season you into knowing which ones are good and which ones are bad.
                03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Hey maddmike . . . Are you going to make it up to Big Bear next weekend? Would be cool to wheel with you again!

New to the forum thing along with the Jeep thing . . . would this qualify as :hijack::gun::dunno:

Comment

Hey maddmike . . . Are you going to make it up to Big Bear next weekend? Would be cool to wheel with you again!

New to the forum thing along with the Jeep thing . . . would this qualify as :hijack::gun::dunno:
                    1. Most likely not.

2. Probably.
                    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Working...
                    X