Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Radio ?s

I've pretty much decided on going with the COBRA 75WXST which is the one with all the controls in the handset and the remote mount. I've heard the speaker is small but figure I can always install an external speaker later if needed . . . I think it should be okay though, as I usually have the top on due to my lack of Melanin (I'm like an inch away from being Albino)! I would really appreciate any guideance that you all could offer regarding the necessary items and instalation. I have an 06 Rubicon. I plan to hide the CB box behind the dash so I can just connect the headset when in use and have everything hidden otherwise. I plan on attaching the antenna to the rear bumper so I don't have to drill into the body . . . just the bumper. This is what I have in the on-line shopping cart now:
    Cobra 75 WXST - CB Radio
    Firestick FS 4ft red - Antenna
    18' Belden cable with Amphenol connectors - Coax Cable
    Flat Surface Mount - Antenna Mount (For Rear Bumper)

Something I read said I would need a fuse adapter as the later model TJs don't have the auxillary power leads . . . any idea what this is or where I could get one? Also, do I need to buy the Coax Cable or does the antenna come with one? The company (Clay's Radio Shop) offers a performance package for $25 . . . I attached the write up below . . . should I get this or not?:dunno:
    The performance tune up increases the radio's output by approximately 50%. The receiver gain is typically 30-40% over stock specs. This modification includes the following changes in order to enhance the radio's performance.
    Turning up the Transmitter's wattage
    Adjusting the modulation for maximum output without distortion.
    Modifying the mike amp circuit for more gain when necessary.
    Aligning the receiver for optimum signal to noise ratio.
    Adjusting the squelch range
    Calibrate the transmit and receive meter settings.
    Frequency adjustment to zero tolerance.
    Perform a complete check of all functions.
    Perform a visual of the circuit board for flaws.

Thanks Everybody . . . Sorry for all the rookie ?s
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

The 18' Belden cable is your antenna cable.

You should get a stiff spring for the antenna. You don't want to snap the antenna on a low overhang.

I think the "performance package" is unnecessary. Good for truckers who want to communicate long distances, but for trail runs, stock is usually enough. Plus the tuneup pushes the power above FCC limits. Again, best for long-haul truckers.

When I installed my CB, I tapped a cigarette lighter wire. It was more convenient than digging into the fuse panel.

You'll also have to tune the antenna. Borrow an SWR meter and read this:
    http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

Speaking of CB questions, mine sounds muddy. Anybody know of a good CB shop in the LA area?
    Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue WK Limited 4.7L•Bells/Whistles
    Mods: Tow Hooks•Skid Plates & Rails•Flowmaster 70•255/65R17 REVO's

Comment

Sometimes if you tap into the wiring harness or cig lighter for power you can pick up noise, mostly from the ignition.

The cleanest source of power is directly from the battery or as close as you can get.

I put a ring lug underneath the stud that brings power from the battery to the power dist box.
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

I just installed a CB into my jeep today. I know in the book it says to hook it to an accessory line but i chose to hook it directly to the battery just because i didnt want the cb turning off every time i turn the jeep off. if you do that just make sure it has an inline fuse. it should come with one.
        I mounted my antenna to the bumper as well, at least untill i get my tire carrier. if you mount your cb behind the dash 18' of cable is more than enough. I mounted mine above on the roll bar and 18' was perfect leaving a few extra feet to relocate the antenna to the tire carrier when i get it.
        good luck on the install
        97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Working...
        X