Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 TJ Rubi Unlimited Towing Capacity?

First off, if I'm not in the right area to ask what is? I did a search on this site and suprisingly found no matches. 06 Rubicon Unlimited towing capacity?? All my research shows 3500# capacity. Non- Unlimited 2000#. I am using a Hanson Rear bumper with receiver. Put a call into them but they were closed left message. Does anyone else know, how about it?
    Thanks, Maxwell-
    Last edited by Max7; 07-31-07, 07:32 PM. Reason: add-on
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Thed 06 is rated at 3500# http://www.lotpro.com/cars/2006/jeep/wrangler

The 07 is rated at 3500# also...http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/dispatch.do
    1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Wonder if it the lenght only or is the spring pack different in comparision to the non-unlimited? Any thoughts? I never knew there was a difference. Glad I got the unlimited!
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
        Wonder if it the lenght only or is the spring pack different in comparision to the non-unlimited? Any thoughts? I never knew there was a difference. Glad I got the unlimited!
        i could be wrong, but my previous research had indicated that it was solely the length of the vehicle, as the non-unlimited has a tendency to swap ends due to the short wheelbase if you brake under load going downhill, and the longer wheelbase of the unlimited gives you more braking stability.

also note that the XJ cherokee has a load capacity of 5000# but with a longer wheelbase than the unlimited, and the same exact driveline components as the stock wrangler and unlimited models.
        03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
          also note that the XJ cherokee has a load capacity of 5000# but with a longer wheelbase than the unlimited, and the same exact driveline components as the stock wrangler and unlimited models.
          There's your proof that it's only wheelbase that makes the wrangler's towing capacity so low. It has enough power to get something moving, just not enough traction to safely stop it around a turn!
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Trailer Manners

I wonder what I could expect if I were to tow a 3500# travel trailer behind the Rubicon Unlimited / Manual trans. as far as Handling/braking manners. Anyone with experience care to chime in? I would prefer to get a 12-16' travel trailer which I am guessing would weigh 1000-2500#, But I if I can SAFELY "up it" to a 20' trailer the extra space could be nice! Thanks for the imput!

Comment

Don't forget to factor in the tounge weight also. This will greatly impact the handling. Loading is also important...too much weight toward to back will cause the trailer to do the fish tail thing. see if you can hook up to a few trailers of different weight and see how comfortable you are with them but do not exceed the 3500#.....oh yeah, don't forget to add the weight of gear and accessories that you load, like water, food, tools, etc. you get the idea....this add up quckly.
              1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Yeah Rick that's all good food for thought,Thanks!

Comment

Well hopefully the trailer will have some brakes, you should be OK from there. I tow my 2 Sea Doos (approx 2500#) around town only with my 02 Wrangler but wouldn't even think of getting on the freeway, the stopping isn't great. Had my front tires skid once when I had to brake hard. But I do remember hearing a lift might reduce towing capacity, just another thing to research.

Go slow and take your time, it's worth it! B&T TJ

Comment

I tow a 2000lb T@B trailer with the same jeep on 35's and have no problems. Be careful with the tongue weight if it sags the back of the jeep down it does affect your steering. The trailer has surge brakes so it stops good. I also towed an Adventure trailer to Moab and back. The jeep did good a little slow on the hills but still passing semi's and rv's (same when towing the t@b). Heres some pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/skij450/Tab

I wouldnt want to tow anything more then what this trailer weighs even if the jeep is rated for 3500.

Brian

Comment

braking system?

Originally posted by CJBrian View Post
                      I tow a 2000lb T@B trailer with the same jeep on 35's and have no problems.
                      I wouldnt want to tow anything more then what this trailer weighs even if the jeep is rated for 3500.Brian
                      Yeah I wondered about maxing out the tow cap. with 3500# trailer it might be better to get the 2000# trailer then there's a little room for stuff, wieght wise.

Do older 12'-16' 50's-70's travel/camper trailers usually have some kind of braking system standard? If not, can you add a brake system to an older trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                        Do older 12'-16' 50's-70's travel/camper trailers usually have some kind of braking system standard? If not, can you add a brake system to an older trailer?
                        I looked at buying a old trailer like that and dont remember seeing any brake systems. They can be added try this site.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/

Comment

A lot of good towing advice can be found on this forum.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/40.cfm

and this page has some good info.

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/
                          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the good info!

Comment

Update

I have been towing a 20' 2800 lb. Air Stream for 10 months now with no brakes it tows nicely. I will NOT go down the hill until I installed new brakes. It did come with electric brakes but they need to be replaced, and I will have to install a brake controller in the Jeep as well.
                              Towing Cap.
                              3500 LJ
                              2500 TJ

Best, Max7

Comment

Working...
                              X