Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• track bar adjustment?

i have installed an adjustable front track bar after my new lift broke in, and then re-centered the axle underneath the vehicle as it had been pulled to the driver's side with the stock track bar in place.

this worked for a few wheeling trips and eliminated the "clunking and clanging" of the bump stop rubbing against the passenger side coil spring, but now is off-center again to the driver's side and i'm getting the clunking and clanging like before.

i've re-adjusted the track bar again so it's off about 1/4" to the passenger side, in hopes of eliminating the geometrical problems with the suspension setup and giving some additional space in case it keeps settling.

how does everyone set up their track bar? I've heard contradicting stories regarding whether it should be centered or offset to the passenger side, but for my particular vehicle it does not appear to be happy just centered.

sorry for the long post, but i wanted to provide some background information on the situation. thanks,
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

When the vehicle is at rest posiion on the ground level of course.......... The trac bar should be neutral able to be removed and or installed without prying on the suspension. At that point you have installed it correctly.

Brett
    offroadwerkz.com
    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Try matching the rear axle. For some reason my rear in approx 1/8-1/4" to one side (can't remember which) so I just matched the front to the rear.

Bring it by over the weekend and I'll give you a hand, shouldn't take long.

B&T TJ

Comment

thanks tom, i didn't think about that. i'll swing by over the weekend and maybe we can get it dialed in on a nice level surface.
        03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
          thanks tom, i didn't think about that. i'll swing by over the weekend and maybe we can get it dialed in on a nice level surface.
          Sunday's good. I'll be home alone for a change.

Tom

Comment

I unbolt mine at the passenger-side and then jounce the front-end up and down so the axle centers itself. Eyeball it to make sure but it should center itself without much effort.

Then just adjust the length of the trackbar so the bushing hole lines up perfectly with the bracket and bolt 'er in. Tighten to 45 ft-lbs.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
            X