Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the front bumper???

So I've got a 06 Rubi and just bought the 4XRAC mounts to mount the HiLift to the front bumper. I noticed that the instructions state that I need to remove the bumper and if there are air-bags, to contact the dealer. Any one know what this is all about? For starters, any tips on removing the front bumper and secondly, do I need to disconnect the air-bags, or something before removing the bumper?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

I am sure they did that for liability purposes it would suck to drill into an airbag sensor, but they are not on the bumpers of our TJ's. I have a front stock bumper sitting on the floor of the garage, it is just the four bolts to hold it on, two on top and two on bottom. you will need like a #55 torx or something to get the top ones off, or you can use a pipe wrench but if you can see where you are going to drill, boith sides, and you can reach it to install the hardware then don't worry about it! I drilled holes and tapped for 1/4" bolts and just bolted my hi-lift mounts on that way. solid.
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

schmo, if your hi-lift is more than 48" tall I would not recommend mounting it to the front bumper. It will be too long and you'll smash up the ends on rocks, as long as you keep planning to 'wheel like you were last weekend.

cheers, mike
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Not sure where the airbag sensor is, but I'm pretty sure its not on the bumper. If it is just disconnect it. Then remove the 6 T-55 torxs (IIRC), 3 per side, 2 on top one on bottom.

Don't worry about the airbag, it wont go off.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

ok I get the hint, 6 torx instead of 4, ok ok ok.
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Thanks everyone . . . Got er done! You were all right removing the bumper was no problem . . . other than the fog lights there was nothing to disconnect. So I get the holes drilled and mounts installed, matching everything up with the picture provided and really feeling good about myself, when I go to put the bumper back on . . . and to my surprise, the bolts for the new mounts are in the way of the frame:mad:! So another 8 holes with the drill, about double that number of expletives, and I was all set. So much for trying to follow the instructions!!!

P.S. - maddmike . . . It is a 48 incher, so the metal bumper goes past it a couple of inches on each side. And I absolutely plan to continue wheeling like we did last weekend . . . part of why I figured my HiLift better be handy! Let me know if you're ever itchin' to hit the trail. Was bummed that I couldn't make Miller Jeep Trail this weekend . . . I've gotta get up there soon.
            Last edited by Schmo; 07-29-07, 09:51 PM.
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
            X