Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator problem

I'm pretty sure that I have a bad alternator. The jeep that I purchased sat for quite a while before I bought it. I had it for a couple of days and drove it around without a problem, but today on my way somewhere.. I started getting some weird things inside the cab... electronic stuff not working.. and then eventually my power steering stopped working and I stalled and pulled over. I tried to jump start the jeep and it would start... but as I'd let it sit there, it would sound like it would stall if I would let off the gas. and when I tried to turn the lights on (this all happened at night) It would just stall out.

my question is: Do you think this sounds like an alternator? And if so, is this something that I could fix myself (I have a really basic knowledge of engines, but I'm not afraid to take things apart) or should I pay someone to do it for me?

This is a 93 cherokee sport.

Thank you!

That can also be the symptom of a very dead battery. Alternators require a small amount of "exciter voltage" from a battery to work so if your battery were nearly dead, it can make the Jeep run like crap. Have the battery load tested first, then look at the alternator.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
    X