Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 inch lift ?s

Aloha!

Any advice on the best 2 inch lift set up for an 06 Rubicon? I did some checking on-line and calling to a couple of local shops and am leaning towards the Rubicon Express 2 inch Economy/Budget Boost. But have seen so many kits, I'm a bit lost as to which is the best option for me. I'm most concerned with performance and functionality as I plan to use the hell out of this thing! I was cautioned with going above a 2 inch for the time being as I'm not only new to the sport and need to figure out the direction I want to take the Jeep, but also don't want to completely ruin my waranty on a one year old Jeep. I liked the sound of the Nth degree 1st degree set up based on what I read about it only being 2 inches higher but giving 5 inches of ground clearance, but was told that it is a very complicated system where all sorts of things need to be changed/rerouted. I've got the 31MTRs (245x75x16)now and figured I'd take it up to 33 inch tires, which leads to my next question (stupid as it may be) . . . looks like MTRs only come in a 285/75R16 whereas the BFG MTs come in that or a 255/85R16. Any suggestions on what brand and size would be best for areas in SoCal with lots of rocks, sand, etc?

I sure appreciate all the help and hope to not be a rookie at all this for too long!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

the MTR's are the way to go, they are the ultimate off road tire right now. I get you wanting to use the 16" rims, but if you go to the 15" steelies they are cheap, and you can get a true 33x12.5 MTR. the bonus for the 15" rather than a 16" is that the rims are a little bit farther away from the rocks and the sidewall of the tire will flex more, so you will have more traction when you air down. the steelies will bend when most aluminums will break, but I really dont want to open that debate/can of worms here.

the best part is that you really dont need a 2" lift that is all kind of complicated and crazy, just get a 2" budget lift.. you said that you dont want to go crazy yet because you want to see where you will ultimately go, so dont spend much on a lift you know you will outgrow, and 32" MTR's will fit that jeep stock, so you dont need much for the 33's to fit.

and it doesnt matter the size of the lift, as soon as you replace a control arm or track bar bracket or anything, the warrenty will be drivetrain only. Most dealerships as soon as they see that you have replaced any of the factory stuff with aftermarket immediately turn up their nose. And some dealerships are now not fixing poewertrain items like u-joints or axles if you have gone to a bigger tire size. so keep the stock tires around if you want to go that route.
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

If I do go with the 33 inch MTR's, it looks like the only option is the 285/85 . . . whereas I've currently got the 245/75 . . . will I need to do anything to adjust for the extra width to avoid rubbing, etc.? Will the 33 MTR fit on my stock spare carrier or will I need to up grade that too?

P.S. - Where in hell is Helendale?
      Last edited by Schmo; 07-14-07, 07:27 AM.
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Gotta love that Avatar there Schmo
        Oscar

Comment

Working...
        X