Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cap Stuck!

Has anyone ever have this happen. I cannot get the oil cap off the valve cover. I try to loosen it and it just spins and clicks (same click you get when you overtighten a oil cap or gas cap). Is there a tool or a easy way to get it off without removing the valve cover?

Thanks alot,

Doug
    98' XJ Sport, K&N filter, 174,xxx miles

I just had this happen to me last weekend! The plastic teeth on the inside of the cap are broken off to the point that it will not grip.

The cap is two parts, pull the top off and the screw-in part will remain in the valve cover. Use a small pry-bar or large flat head screw driver to get leverage to unscrew the plug.

You can get a new cap from Autozone for about $8.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

What do I use to pry off the top part, just a screw driver?

Comment

screw driver to pry off the top, plyers to remove the remaining part
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i had this happen on my jeep, I just pulled off the cap and used channel locks to unscrew the part in the valve cover. worked like a charm
          97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Well my friend this is A common problem with the oil fill cap, there is nothing wrong with the cap. When the engine is hot the cap will just spin and click but not come off, this is normal on jeeps,you can remove the cap as described by the other guys this works fine just put the cap back together an use it again it is fine. You can wait for the engine to cool down and the cap should come right off to change the oil. If you need to add oil while driving often then you should carry a flat head screw driver and some pliers to remove it on the road. The caps will not untwist when the engine is hot about 50% of the time . Larry
            Last edited by Dog Man; 07-11-07, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Man View Post
              Well my friend this is A common problem with the oil fill cap, there is nothing wrong with the cap. When the engine is hot the cap will just spin and click but not come off, this is normal on jeeps,you can remove the cap as described by the other guys this works fine just put the cap back together an use it again it is fine. You can wait for the engine to cool down and the cap should come right off to change the oil. If you need to add oil while driving often then you should carry a flat head screw driver and some pliers to remove it on the road. The caps will not untwist when the engine is hot about 50% of the time . Larry
              I've heard that too. I've never had a problem taking mine off when the engine is cold.
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Well the thing is that it is cold, its been sitting a while and still does not come off. But I will use your advice guys. I will buy a new cap just in case too.

Comment

Working...
                X