Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel filter in the tank?

My fuel filter is in the tank? errrrr It has 76k miles and i thought it should be changed but.........

Yes your TJ's fuel filter is inside the tank but no, it does not need changing. By fuel filter standards, it is positively huge and was designed as a lifetime filter.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

It should be changed but...it's a PITA to get to!

If you are not having fuel issues you could probably ignore it.

The filter in the tank protects the pump, the filter on the rail protects the injectors.
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

uuummm ok then i wont touch it,should i change it if i put on a tank skid and its already down or dont sweet it/?

Comment

woops...I was talking YJ the TJ may be diff.
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
            It should be changed but...it's a PITA to get to!

If you are not having fuel issues you could probably ignore it.

The filter in the tank protects the pump, the filter on the rail protects the injectors.
            oh i have two ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gwjvw View Post
              oh i have two ?
              Nope.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

The MOPAR fuel filter on a 99 TJ is attached to the fuel pump and can not be changed without changing the pump. MOPAR = expensive. Drive it until you start having problems. For me, that was about 120k miles.

If you are having problems now, let me know. I might be able to get you a discount on a new pump. $300 instead of $400. ....Yeah, really.
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                  The MOPAR fuel filter on a 99 TJ is attached to the fuel pump and can not be changed without changing the pump. MOPAR = expensive. Drive it until you start having problems. For me, that was about 120k miles.

If you are having problems now, let me know. I might be able to get you a discount on a new pump. $300 instead of $400. ....Yeah, really.
                  Incorrect...if you're talking about the Strainer, it is not a serviceable item as far as Jeep is concerned. It is available at Autozone for under $10. Id be happy to look up the part number if you'd like me to. I wrote it down in our FSM.

Unless your engine is showing signs of it being clogged (IE not starting, stalling, stumbling, etc) then don't worry about it. That said, if the tank is empty and dropped, it might be worth changing, cause its much easier to do it when you want to, not when you have to. Preventative maintenance isn't a bad thing.

Chris' was having problems around 120k as well. it would stall or not start for no apparent reason. We once had it towed from Calico to Apple Valley because it wouldn't start. Yet when we took it off the trailer at Rick and Sarah's, it started right up! We didn't know it was the strainer until we were on the way home from Rubicon. Fed up, we ended up dropping the tank in the Mickey-D's parking lot. Removed the strainer and it ran like a top afterwards. I wish we would have taken pictures of it...it was BLACK with debris.

So if someone tells you the strainer is a lifetime part, its all relative. And the more you wheel your Jeep, the shorter its lifetime becomes.

Now if you're talking about the filter, it sits on top of the pump. And it is a serviceable part from the dealer. It runs about $120.

Hope that helps and doesn't muddy the water for you.

Tam
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

When you are in there changing the fuel strainer/ filter............ dont forget to change the fuel hoses........ Use 5/16 Fuel Injection hose only. (The hose will be clearly marked) This type of hose is designed for higher pressures and resists chemicals in fuels that break down the rubber.

This is preventative maintenance and believe me you dont want to have to drop the tank on the trail.

Brett
                    offroadwerkz.com
                    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Thanks for all the info so i think i will wait a few miles.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                        Incorrect...if you're talking about the Strainer, it is not a serviceable item as far as Jeep is concerned. It is available at Autozone for under $10. Id be happy to look up the part number if you'd like me to. I wrote it down in our FSM. ....

Tam
                        Damn. I wish somebody had told me that before I bought a new fuel pump assembly.
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                        X