Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop goes the WHAT???

Just noticed a pop in my front end when i turn the wheel to the left. Thought it might be the track bar (it was loose before), also just greased the steering connections and the suspension. got under and had a buddy turn the wheel every time there is a pop. Now im thinking that it might be in the steering linkage. Im going crazy cant find where it is coming from. Any advice. (by the way im considering taking it to a shop, it's that frustrating). Power steering '03 4.5" lift.

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
    Just noticed a pop in my front end when i turn the wheel to the left. Thought it might be the track bar (it was loose before), also just greased the steering connections and the suspension. got under and had a buddy turn the wheel every time there is a pop. Now im thinking that it might be in the steering linkage. Im going crazy cant find where it is coming from. Any advice. (by the way im considering taking it to a shop, it's that frustrating). Power steering '03 4.5" lift.
    What kind of transfer case skid do you have? It might be that.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

stock skid. it doesnt sound like it is coming from there. But other than the lift, tires and an intake no other mods.

Comment

I dont have your problem....but please post when you find the answer.....I am sure my times acomin for this problem.

BobO
        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
        (Charles Wells)

Comment

ball joints in the steering knuckles?

or one of the ball joints in the drag link/tie rod?
          03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

not sure but i traced the pop to the steering box. Can this be fixed or do i have to get a whole new one?

Comment

check your power steering fluid level...?

if it's full and you are absolutely positively without a doubt sure it was the steering box, then i would say just replace the whole box. i'm no expert but i'd be willing to bet you'd destroy something trying to take it apart, plus you'd be without a vehicle while you were trying to make the repairs.
              03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Start the engine and have someone sit inside turning the steering wheel side-to-side while you watch the action from the front. Shouldn't take too long to see what's making the noise.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

have someone rock the wheel back and forth and look where the drag link connects to the steering knuckle. just had that problem with my jeep. i guess the nut wasnt tightened and the bolt reamed the hole in the steering knuckle bigger. sounded like it was comming from the steering box also.
                  97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Working...
                  X