Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty rear corner

Okay, so I have been hacking at the rear right corner of my Jeep for some time last night and tonight. I've been drinking while I've been doing it so mind the spelling errors... And I am having some issues. Firstly, I've never done any body work before in my life and so this has been very interesting from the get go. The rust hole was originaly about 1.5 inches in diameter, but I have successfully increased the size substantially. It's closter to three inches now. I drilled a bunch of holes in the good metal and then hammered in between with a chisel then stuck a hack saw in the holes where I could get it and started cutting. (anyone want some help with body work? I'd be happy to help with my expertise) My intentions are to cut away bad stuff, hammer the crap of the edge of the good stuff then rivet in a sheet of sheet metal and then body fill up the gap. This is what I have read online.. don't know if its the best plan. Anyway... my problem is that the metal I am cutting through is not completely hollow on that section. I am currently cutting just below the spare tire mount and there is reinforcement behind there or something. That is one thing I am not sure how to deal with because the rust extends -- my dog has to use the little girls room. I'll finish this when I get back.

Originally posted by FromLadaToJeep View Post
    Okay, so I have been hacking at the rear right corner of my Jeep for some time last night and tonight. I've been drinking while I've been doing it so mind the spelling errors... And I am having some issues. Firstly, I've never done any body work before in my life and so this has been very interesting from the get go. The rust hole was originaly about 1.5 inches in diameter, but I have successfully increased the size substantially. It's closter to three inches now. I drilled a bunch of holes in the good metal and then hammered in between with a chisel then stuck a hack saw in the holes where I could get it and started cutting. (anyone want some help with body work? I'd be happy to help with my expertise) My intentions are to cut away bad stuff, hammer the crap of the edge of the good stuff then rivet in a sheet of sheet metal and then body fill up the gap. This is what I have read online.. don't know if its the best plan. Anyway... my problem is that the metal I am cutting through is not completely hollow on that section. I am currently cutting just below the spare tire mount and there is reinforcement behind there or something. That is one thing I am not sure how to deal with because the rust extends -- my dog has to use the little girls room. I'll finish this when I get back.
    Okay... anyway.. the surface rust extends into that reinforced area. Also the rust extends down to the base where the metal curves under the vehicle. i guess my question is.. Does anyone have another beer? I mean, Has anyone dealt with this corner of the jeep in regards to patching a rust hole? Also does anyone have any better suggestions? I dont want to grind or weld (both of which I am almost sort of capable of accomplishing as I have grinders and an old Lincoln ARC welder) but that area is very close to the gas tank and the less explosions the better. That's what my papa always said anyway.
    Sorry this is so long and in two parts, but as I said my dog had to go... and Im just ever so slightly intoxicated. Thanks for getting this far, if you did, and I'd appreciate any help. Also, I apologize for all the errors.. I'll slowly edit them out.

Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by FromLadaToJeep; 06-07-07, 09:05 PM.

Comment

i like how u drink and wrench, thats the canadian way, its the best, some buddies some beer and our rigs, the taxi to the parts store kinda sucks, but o well. how about some pics??? that would help alot to sort this out but basically stop chisseling and hammering and hacksawing, get a cutooff wheel and cleanly get her out, or use a jigsaw or sawzall, dont be hick about it. then u could rivet in and grind out the bumps and bondo and paint her, just like usual

hope that helps

The Hurricane

Comment

Yeah, I'll get some pics up here to explaing better. Then i'll invite all over for beer and we can work on it together. But you all have to pay for your own cabs... I know some of you are from Texas and winnepeg and there-abouts (...like those two are close together) and I just can't afford cabs from there right now.. perhaps when I win the Lotto tonight..
        Anyway.. I will take pictures and get them up to show you guys.. I would love some advice, and although I am, as I said, ever so slightly intoxicated right now, I would honestly and sincerely appreciate any direction in the matter.

Comment

Working...
        X