Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overfilled Oil

Does anyone know if i had my oil overfilled will it leak? i took my TJ to a shop i think they may have overfilled the oil because i had a pretty good amount of oil leak. The leak was coming from Below where the Rear main seal gasket is. Not the gasket itself but the big silver thing (transmission????) sorry i am not mechanically inclined. Can you guys help please.

Check the oil level with the dipstick (the thing with the yellow handle) If it reads between the marks then it's not overfilled. You can also check your owners manual, checking the oil level. Should be fairly simple. And color of leaking oil, red=auto trans fluid, thick fruity smelling would be standard trans fluid. Hope this helps.

B&T TJ

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Comment

You should be ok
        PoorBoyzJeepClub

Comment

I had oil in my air filter. Just bought the jeep a week ago and I think the guy before me changed the oil during prep for resale and perhaps filled it up too much. I checked the dipstick and it was about an inch above fill mark. Does this type of thing occur with an over fill? rd3100, did your TJ have oil in the air filter?

Comment

Aw the oil in the air filter enclosure! I posted a thread on this and had several people respond that this is standard problem. My oil is not overfilled but I mop up 1 - 2 ounces each long trip I take. I switched to a "K & N" air filter so that I could clean it and re-use it instead of buying new paper filters all the time. I also have cut out strips of cloth towells (6" x 10") and place them between the air filter and the back of the housing where the oil comes in at. This at least stops most of the oil before it gets on the filter. Mine is 1988 YJ 4.2.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
            X