Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped threads

Any one here ever had this come up:
    Last weekend on Holcomb my steering got real easy. I didn't think too much of it at first but on the way home it got weird. Just too easy to turn and the front end felt light. Last night I was cleaning all the mud from under the Jeep and I find the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame are stripped and two of them had come completely out! So the box is moving around like crazy. The threaded holes in the box mounts are still good, but the threads are completely stripped off the ends of the bolts. Freaking grade 8 bolts at that. Must have have been that one last rock I had to show off on...

Rat
    Last edited by RAT; 04-18-07, 11:33 AM. Reason: miss spelled words uh huuuhhh
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
    Any one here ever had this come up:
    Last weekend on Holcomb my steering got real easy. I didn't think too much of it at first but on the way home it got weird. Just too easy to turn and the front end felt light. Last night I was cleaning all the mud from under the Jeep and I find the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame are stripped and two of them had come completely out! So the box is moving around like crazy. The threaded holes in the box mounts are still good, but the threads are completely stripped off the ends of the bolts. Freaking grade 8 bolts at that. Must have have been that one last rock I had to show off on...

Rat
    I guess we should have looked at that on when you said something.My t/case leaked almost all of its fluid out on the way home,made all kinds of noise when i pulled in the drive way
    The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Thanks for the tip, though. Something to watch for and just periodically check up on. just like checking lug nuts after all day rock crawlin.
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

It seems like everytime I run Holcomb something comes undone on my Jeep. Last time it was the retaining plate on the axle. And I call myself a mekanik,

Rat

Comment

replace and red loc-tite them in place.
          i used to have mine losen up on occasion. no more though
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            replace and red loc-tite them in place.
            i used to have mine losen up on occasion. no more though
            Did that. So far so good. Thanks.
            Rat

Comment

After you get fresh bolts threaded into place, get a steering box-to-frame brace installed.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                After you get fresh bolts threaded into place, get a steering box-to-frame brace installed.
                I have yet to find one for a 2002, even purchased one and sent it back. Seem to be a one year thing.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
                  I have yet to find one for a 2002, even purchased one and sent it back. Seem to be a one year thing.

B&T TJ
                  That's really odd, I've not noticed any differences in the frame or steering dimensions. What was it about the one you received that wouldn't fit? Mine fits on the steering box around the flange the shaft exits through and then bolts to the passenger-side frame.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                    That's really odd, I've not noticed any differences in the frame or steering dimensions. What was it about the one you received that wouldn't fit? Mine fits on the steering box around the flange the shaft exits through and then bolts to the passenger-side frame.
                    The box seems to be different, there's not enough flange to clamp to. Let me know if you find one.

Tom

Comment

gosh, everybody knows you gotta check your nutz...

after a run...
                      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                      X