Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid cat

ok not a kitty, but my catalytic converter.

finally went out. its a 97 tj 6cyl. no longer under warranty.

my question is: whats a good quality, relatively cheap, smog legal converter that i can get for my heap? and how much
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
    ok not a kitty, but my catalytic converter.

finally went out. its a 97 tj 6cyl. no longer under warranty.

my question is: whats a good quality, relatively cheap, smog legal converter that i can get for my heap? and how much
    You're in luck...

http://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+...ient=firefox-a

I just got a recall notice about the cat being covered under certain conditions... hopefully you're covered. Are you registered with Daimler Chrysler for getting recall notices? Mine came in the mail, and I can't find a whole lot online about it, but it's called E-22. Call your dealer and see if it will be covered because of the EPA's Clean Air Act.

EDIT: Throw your VIN (last 8 digits) in here to see if you're up:
    http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...m%28%27R%27%29

EDIT again:
    Although I got the recall notice in the mail, I threw my VIN into the website and got a "no incomplete recalls" message, so I'd still try calling or going to your local stealership!
    Last edited by Materdaddy; 04-17-07, 10:30 PM. Reason: added jeep.com link!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Strange things continue, and sorry to give you hope... it appears somebody at Jeep typed my VIN wrong... when I bought it and had them update the address, I gave them the VIN, they gave me a build sheet, etc. It ended w/ XX445XXX in the VIN... The DMV has it that way, I searched jeep.com that way, no dice. I look at the recall notice, it has XX455XXX, so I'm not covered. I wonder why and read the notice. It's for '96 Cherokees with the 4.0L, and '97/'98 Wranglers/Cherokees/Dakotas with the 2.5L. I have a '97 wrangler with the 4.0L.... so it seems my PCM and cat are OK and won't be covered. If you're a '97 with the 4.0L you are in the same boat as me...
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

i just did the cat on my 97 with the 2.5 and it was 295$ cnd, and i got 20% off cause i got it at a friend of mines friends shop..its only 20% but still better than nothin. hope that helps

Comment

Hmmm well I can get the recall thing... but I dont even have a cat anymore.

I did some research though for anyone who might be having this problem... and found it's been nothing but problems for most...

this is the recall letter...

"EMISSIONS RECALL E22– REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE AND INSPECTION OF THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER
          Dear: (Name)
          The Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has determined that certain 1996 model year Jeep® Cherokee and Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 4.0 liter engine and certain 1997 and 1998 Jeep® Wrangler and Cherokee vehicles, and Dodge Dakota pickup trucks equipped with a 2.5 liter engine require modification in order to comply with requirements of the Clean Air Act designed to protect public health and welfare. DaimlerChrysler Corporation (DCC) has determined that the modifications required by EPA will improve the vehicle’s ability to monitor the performance of the emission control system and may reduce the emission of pollutants that are regulated by EPA under the Clean Air Act. Because DCC has achieved this improved emissions system monitoring without compromising the safety or driveability of your vehicle, EPA and DCC strongly encourage you to bring your car to a dealer to perform the modification.
          The problem is... The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on your vehicle (VIN xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) contains software that may not be capable of detecting a deteriorating catalyst. This can result in failure to illuminate the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) malfunction indicator light (MIL) warning the customer of a potential problem. Also, under certain conditions, some catalytic converters may be subject to mechanical degradation that causes them to rattle. This catalytic converter degradation eventually could result in higher exhaust emission levels and the illumination of the MIL.
          What your dealer will do... DaimlerChrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will reprogram your vehicle s Powertrain Control Module. The work will take about an hour to complete. However additional time may be necessary depending on how dealer appointments are scheduled and processed. Your dealer will also inspect your vehicle’s catalytic converter. If the catalyst is found to be "rattling" or loose, the dealer will replace it free of charge (parts and labor). NOTE: This recall does not include the replacement of other exhaust system components. If other exhaust system components require replacement, the associated repair costs are your responsibility. Your catalytic converter warranty period will be: (A) eight years or 80,000 miles from the vehicle’s original in-service date; or (B) twelve months or 12,000 miles from the date your recall service is performed, whichever of (A) or (B) is later."

Apparently a lot of people are having problems with dealers not fixing things or saying it doesnt need fixing and charging them for labor and diagnostics checks and saying its not covered by the recall, or they conveniently find other problems while checking the recall and charging people for it all. Typical dealer.

I also read that people are having problems after the recall has been fixed and the PCM was re-programmed. Getting no farther than a few miles away before CEL and engine problems start, and dealers are denying fault. Again... typical dealer. To me it sounds like a big fishy mess.

Whoever had my TJ before me must have had the cat problem, but they just welded a straight pipe in place of the cat and welded a bung for the 2cnd O2 sensor. I havent had any issues with it, cept their welds look like a 5yr olds and they cracked and now I have a annoying exhaust leak noise...

If it were me I would just get an aftermarket free flowing cat... yeah it's gona cost ya but from the sound of things so is getting the recall "fixed".
          Yellow 01 Sport
          4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

thanks for the potential,hopeful help guys. SO, whats a good legal aftermarket free flowing cat that wont cost me 400.00?
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

quadratec.com has some from 200-260, but those are direct bolt-ins. You could probably find some universals for cheaper but might hafta add a O2 bung in the pipe if you have the 2cnd O2 sensor. Search around, call your local exhaust places and see what hey might have. Doesnt have to be free flowing or high flow but it helps performance, it's just all what you want.
              Yellow 01 Sport
              4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

what about Random Technology's high flow cat...it's supposed to be 50 state legal...I have NO idea how much it would run you though...I gotta look it up!
                WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                [_____]
                (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                []--o---[]

Comment

Working...
                X