Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tie Jay"

ALRIGHTY!! Well it seems my dad has yet again bewildered me. He found a complete drivetrain. That's motor, tranny(Auto), ECU, Wiring Harness, the whole shebang for $350

Funny thing is...it's out of a 2000 TJ.

My question is! how hard would it be to convert my YJ (that's drivetrain...and the dashboard too!) to a "Tie Jay"

That's the YJ body with the TJ's lovely 4.0L!

Thanks mes amis!
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

Did he also snag you the computer for all that? Either way, it'll be a chore to get that 4.0L and its harness interfaced into your YJ. Great find though, wow, $350 for all that!
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Well.....you'll be busy for a while. And I have no idea, how to. Please post up some of your finds when you do it.
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Other than the fact that it's OBD II, it shouldn't be that hard. The actual engine and tranny should just about bolt in.....

Getting all the wiring completed and functional is another story.

You'll need EVERYTHING. All of the wiring harnesses, accessories, exhaust, computer, body harness, dash cluster, etc. EVERYTHING. And it all has to work, or the computer won't like it. The dash cluster is especially important, as the computer feeds all go through it and cannot be bypassed without siginificant effort.

Plus, on the '00 engines, it's a coil-on-plug setup, so you can't just run any old computer on it. It must be '00 and up.

However...

You CAN take all of the stuff off and basically go down to a long block and then bolt up all of your manifolds and FI from the YJ, assuming it's a '92 or newer. You'll have to remove the cam position sensor and install a distributor.
        '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

HE CAME DOWN ON THE PRICE!!
          A guy my dad's working with is buying a motor from the same guy...so my junk and hais motor will equal about $600

That means...he came down $50

And yeah, it's got it all...Harness, exaust manifolds, motor, Computer, EVERYTHING!!

I'm going crazy!!
          I'ma totally keep you Guys and Gals posted on my totally crazy endeavor!
          WTF Mate?

______
          [_____]
          (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
          []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
            Other than the fact that it's OBD II, it shouldn't be that hard. The actual engine and tranny should just about bolt in.....

Getting all the wiring completed and functional is another story.

You'll need EVERYTHING. All of the wiring harnesses, accessories, exhaust, computer, body harness, dash cluster, etc. EVERYTHING. And it all has to work, or the computer won't like it. The dash cluster is especially important, as the computer feeds all go through it and cannot be bypassed without siginificant effort.

Plus, on the '00 engines, it's a coil-on-plug setup, so you can't just run any old computer on it. It must be '00 and up.

However...

You CAN take all of the stuff off and basically go down to a long block and then bolt up all of your manifolds and FI from the YJ, assuming it's a '92 or newer. You'll have to remove the cam position sensor and install a distributor.
            Your a right keen guy to keep handy.....Hi my name is Bob. We'll be talking.
            "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
            (Charles Wells)

Comment

A friend put a 2002 engine & auto trans & computer into an 88YJ-he got everything to work except the fuel guage.
              99TJ

Comment

nice! We are gonna somehow make the TJ dash fit...
                Steering wheel, Column, Dash, everything...looks like I'll have my work SERIOUSLY cut out for me....just I have no idea what to do with the hole that's gonna be in the tub from me removing the clutch. Prolly just fab a metal plate to bolt over it with a foot rest.
                WTF Mate?

______
                [_____]
                (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                []--o---[]

Comment

Now would be an excellent time to spend a little money and buy the full shop service manual for the donor TJ and maybe also for the YJ. Those books will become your best friends in this.

The TJ one is $75+ and is downloadable in .pdf format. I have it, and it takes up fully 3 huge binders. I printed mine out and put each page in a laminated cover. It is especially handy in tracking down electrical gremlins and wiring.
                  '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Yeah listen to Peter, I just finished a big project on an RX7 and the FSM REALLY helped out when we were having some electrical problems...
                    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Ok...I thought I was just getting all the goodies out of the Jeep afore mentioned...but NOOOO, my dad bought the whole darn wrecked TJ...the only thing it doesn't have are the axles...but mine are fine as it is. no leaks or anything, and everything seems fine with them. I check them periodically, cause I drive like a bat out of hell.
                      WTF Mate?

______
                      [_____]
                      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                      []--o---[]

Comment

Working...
                      X