Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive line shop in southern california?

do any of you know of any drive line shop here in so. cal that is reputable? and has great turn around?

i'm going on a trip to death valley this weekend and i just found out my front drive shaft transfer case side is shot. this is on a 2000 grand.

i was told to take it to offroad unlimited in burbank. does anyone have any experience with them?

the other option would be to order a tom woods shaft and get it next day shipped to me. the problem is i would have to install a new yoke to switch to the double cardon u joint, which i have no clue how to do yet.

any help would be great!

thanks.

J.E. Reel is pretty reputable, i havent used them but heard lots of good things and theyre in Pomona.
    http://reeldriveline.com/ltdrive.htm
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Try Driveline in gardena 310.515.2860 they have done a lot of Yj/Cj's for me, they built my Camaro drivshaft for me in 1 day
      The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

I have had good luck w/ JE REEL. Just got a beefy front shaft for my 241OR swap.

Comment

I used http://www.driveshaftmasters.com/shafts.html and the turn around time was 1 day. Depending on where in LA you are.

Comment

thanks guys.

may i ask how the quality of shaft was at both driveline in gardena and drive shaft masters?

i'm not far from either as i work in downtown l.a.

Comment

also, would you mind telling what kind of shafts you got?

i just gave drive shaft masters a call and was given a rough estimate of $380 for a single u-joint/double carden shaft. thats without new yokes. $60-80 for new yokes, but i was told just reuse the cv type flange thats already there if possible.

what do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by phant0omx View Post
                also, would you mind telling what kind of shafts you got?

i just gave drive shaft masters a call and was given a rough estimate of $380 for a single u-joint/double carden shaft. thats without new yokes. $60-80 for new yokes, but i was told just reuse the cv type flange thats already there if possible.

what do you guys think?
                that price is high..
                another one for you to call might be:
                http://www.fourxdoctor.com/
                http://www.offroadevolution.com/

both are SO Cal. one in Burbank and one in Fullerton.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

well, offroad evolution is getting back from moab and will be back tomorrow.

i guess i'll just pull my front ds tonight and take measurements incase i order the tw shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodOil.com View Post
                    I have had good luck w/ JE REEL. Just got a beefy front shaft for my 241OR swap.
                    if i may ask, how long did it take you to receive your shaft? rough cost? i'm going to call them tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                      I used http://www.driveshaftmasters.com/shafts.html and the turn around time was 1 day. Depending on where in LA you are.
                      same here... they built my rear CV shaft in approx. 4 hours, including time to obtain a yoke that they didn't have on hand. i forget the cost, as it's been 4 or 5 years- somewhere in the $325-ish range. in my case, they also threw in an extra 1310 u-joint. :yay:

Comment

ended up being at j.e. reel for the drive shaft. still roughly ~380 for the double cardan shaft and the new yokes on both sides.

they said it'll be done thursday afternoon/friday morning.

hopefully everything goes fine so i could leave on the friday night for death valley.

thanks for the help guys.

merlin

Comment

here's an update.

bought my shaft from j.e. reel over in pomona. made in three days and i had them install it since they had a lift there.

cost was $500 with shaft, tc yoke, and cv parts kit.

if you ask if i'm happy with it, i'm not sure how to answer. while it is a strong ds a few things put me in the neutral zone in opinion.

1) from reading forums most people with an early model wj update the front ds to both sides u-joint/double cardan and change out the yokes to match

in my case i asked for u-joint/double cardan and two new yokes to match. what i got was ujoint/ double cardan, new yoke on tc side, but a cv flange to connect to the d30.

2) someone there messed up the measurement of the shaft and made it roughly 1 inch too long. i personally drove down there to have them measure it so i wouldn't mess up with the time constraint i had.

they did make good on their shaft though. they cut rewelded and balanced it.

i have to say also, that i could have told them to change the front cv flange to plain u-joint and install a new yoke, but i retardedly forgot. this could be why it was too long?

it seems to be fine as i tested it in death valley this past weekend with some light wheeling, but at high speeds at 80-85 (i know i shouldn't drive that fast) i can feel some driveline vibes, which i've read can be due to pinion angle, which i can't believe would be a problem with 2 inches of lift.

all in all, they're good guys at j.e. reel. they work fast. their work looks good with the heavy ds.

would i go back? for the price even if i had installed it myself and saved the 65$ shop time it would still cost me $435. i don't think that saving would deter me from giving tom woods a try.

Comment

For future referance:
                            Drivelines Incorporated in Irvine seemed to be a bunch of really cool guys. Pick up a couple things from them the other day. I think they do all the drive line stuff for moster garage and overhaulin. Outlaw Offroad is also right next door to them...

The addy is
                            6 McLaren St. Irvine, Ca
                            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

cool. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X