Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skid plate

I have an '03 TJ 6cyl auto.

i'm (finally!) thinking of upgrading my stock transmission skid with an aftermarket product. I'm interested in the following skidplate, but want to know if anyone has any comments about it or would be able to recommend another product which may be better. What I like about this product is that it serves as an oil pan and transmission skid as well as providing much greater clearance and shape than the stock part.

http://www.skidplates.com/engine_ski...s_97_06_TJ.htm

thanks in advance for any comments.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

I'm not an expert, but I thought I'd point out that those bolt heads (or is it the nuts?) don't look so good hanging down. I can see sliding on a rock and snapping them off. Maybe replacing the ones that come w/ that skid?

Also, have you thought about Jeep Medic? Anybody have opinions on those?

'97-'02 TJ
    http://www.jeepmedicfabrication.com/...ine%20skid.htm
    '02+ TJ
    http://www.jeepmedicfabrication.com/Engine%20Skids.htm

I think that's the skid I'll be getting fairly soon! (Unless anybody has better recommendations!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I have it and like it. I had the guys at T and J Performance in Orange (tandjperformance.com) put it on for me. This plate is heavy (65lbs or so), so you're likely going to need some help and a lift if you do it yourself. They used bolts with a slim domed head for mounting into the transfer skid, looks nice and works well. I chose this plate b/c it covers the oil pan and transmission pan and cancels out the shovel like leading edge of the transfer case skid. Also, the guys at T and J ramped the jeep during install to make sure there was no impact at max flex with anything else underneath, make sure you do this or have it done. On my '03 rubi (auto) it only touched my front nth degree slider a tad, so they cut a notch in the slider.

Comment

Originally posted by dadasjp View Post
        I have it and like it.
        I assume you are talking about the one which I posted, as there are now 2 products listed here for consideration...?

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          I'm not an expert, but I thought I'd point out that those bolt heads (or is it the nuts?) don't look so good hanging down. I can see sliding on a rock and snapping them off. Maybe replacing the ones that come w/ that skid?

Also, have you thought about Jeep Medic? Anybody have opinions on those?

'97-'02 TJ
          http://www.jeepmedicfabrication.com/...ine%20skid.htm
          '02+ TJ
          http://www.jeepmedicfabrication.com/Engine%20Skids.htm

I think that's the skid I'll be getting fairly soon! (Unless anybody has better recommendations!
          IMO I'd be a bit concerned about the full-length welds on the jeep medic plate, especially at the corner which absorbs the impact force and prevents the skid from deforming. I'm sure it's OK but I'd just prefer not to have a weld in this location if I was buying this part.

also, I agree that I am concerned about bolts on the underside of the skid plate, however it's certainly better than the stock '03 tranny skid which both needs to be spaced down so the driveshaft will not rub at full flex, and the ends of the cross member always smash against rocks which both breaks the nut-serts in the frame as well as bends the plate way out of whack...

Comment

Yes, I meant the skidrow skidplate.

Comment

I ran the skid row JP-0019 plate on my 03 rubicon for about a year. I liked it ... it was very easy to install and saved my butt a few times. But in the end, I had ended up bending it into the oil pan and the edge of the diamond shaped hole had made a nice dent under the oil drain bolt. Nothing too serious but still, something to watch out for.

I had to get rid of it when I did my long arm lift.

By the way, the bolts on this model are not exposed much and are rounded on the bottom as dadasjp said. The nuts are installed above the plate.
              Last edited by seapahn; 04-09-07, 10:28 AM.
              03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
              "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

If you want to check out the Jeep Medic, let me know. I just got one, still sitting in my garage as I haven't had time to install it yet. Heavy sucker...
                [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn View Post
                  But in the end, I had ended up bending it into the oil pan and the edge of the diamond shaped hole had made a nice dent under the oil drain bolt.
                  thanks for the heads up. do you think there would be a way to modify the installation to prevent this from happening? Maybe beef up the engine mount support bracket with a heavier piece? thanks...

Comment

Mike,
                    The Skid Row skid you're looking at has been on my Jeep for two years. I've turtled on it, high centered on it, dragged boulders the size of Texas out of the ground with it, and then I just take it off and run over it with a forklift (no s__t) and straighten it right back out. I like it. It makes it kind of a pain to do oil changes, but thats what Jiffy Lube is for!
                    Rat
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

i can get this puppy on sale at 4 wheel parts for $220. I'd say that's a pretty decent price for the part, even though it is basically a $2 piece of 3/16" steel with a few holes drilled in it.

Thanks Rat, if this thing can take YOUR abuse, then I have nothing to worry about.

Mat, I would consider this part as well since the sale is happening through the end of the month.
                      Last edited by maddmike; 04-09-07, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
                        Mat, I would consider this part as well since the sale is happening through the end of the month.
                        Thanks for the heads up, I'll see what I can do! See ya out there soon hopefully!

Comment

Mat, I've also been searching around JU regarding skid plates, and there are many posts on the board about the Jeep Medic skid plate, and they are mostly positive, so my comment about the corner welding doesn't seem to matter so much. This skid also seems like a great option. Search in JU under "wrangler forums" and you will find these posts and can read for yourself the different opinions from the members.

cheers,

Comment

Cool, thanks! I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a purchase yet, but hopefully before I try Doran or something like that again!

Comment

If you have a lift planned in the near future you might want to make sure it will be compatable. Like seapahn said he had to get rid of his when he got the long arm lift. I actually got one of the first long arm models of the Skid Rows skids. I had to wait 3 months to get mine because the only one they had was their prototype that they were still fitting on their test vehicle. Love it so far other than the messy oil changes. I forgot to tell the new girl at the express lube about the carboard funnel the guys normally make to control the oil. She had oil draining from all sides of the skid. Now she cringes everytime I pull up with the Jeep. :smile:
                              Dennis
                              04 TJ
                              4.0/Auto
                              RE 4.5 Long Arm
                              Rock-It Man Rockers
                              33x12.50 BFG A/T
                              desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Working...
                              X