X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
    Call me a wuss then
    Wuss

I'm glad to hear that everything else under there was OK.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
      Wuss

I'm glad to hear that everything else under there was OK.
      Yeah, everything else seems fine so far Thanks again Doug, and Russ for the spotting!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
        care to back up that statement? Brad is a really cool guy and doesn't deserve to be slammed without an explination. They're both made out of 3/16"...so what is the difference?

FWIW- i don't have either skid...i picked up a warn for cheap
        The difference is the nice little dip in the middle to allow the pump sump to drop into. The problem with flat gas skids like kilbys is that the push up on the bottom of the pump, causing the seal at the top to be comprimised thus causing a lovely EVAP. Now that was my reasoning behind saying he can keep his poorly designed skid. Material thickness does not a skid plate make.
        Last edited by blkTJ; 04-03-07, 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
          The difference is the nice little dip in the middle to allow the pump sump to drop into. The problem with flat gas skids like kilbys is that the push up on the bottom of the pump, causing the seal at the top to be comprimised thus causing a lovely EVAP. Now that was my reasoning behind saying he can keep his poorly designed skid. Material thickness does not a skid plate make.
          BTW, Thanks again for the info! Tam verified the dip for the pump, as I suspected when I read genright's info. What would I do w/o MJR?

Comment

intresting...i'll let everyone know if i have that same problem
            And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

What would I do w/o MJR?
              Work? :yay:
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Work? :yay:
                Haha, that might be a good idea...

Now that I'll be dropping my tank, I figured I might try the "15 to 19 gallon mod"... has anybody done this or have any insight? There's a couple thread on JF about it, and I wondered if anybody here has attempted it. I've heard there's certain tanks which are truely 15 gallon and this mod won't work on, but can never get any definite answers or part numbers.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325596

Comment

What I'm wondering is if the dent in the tank will come out when it's removed from the stock skid?

Mr. Materdaddy,

The gas tank is made from thin gauge polycarbonate material and dents quite easily as you have found out.

The good news is it can also be popped back out with relative ease by several methods.

1) Open the gas door and remove the gas cap. Lite a match and throw it down the filler tube and quickly replace the cap and tighten. The gasoline will ignite but since you quickly put the cap back on, it will *POP* the dent right out! :yay:

The other option if mommy won't let you play with matches...

2) Open the gas door and remove the gas cap. Place your mouth over the filler tube and exhale rapidly and repeatedly until the dent *POPS* out. :yay:

Be sure and set-up a video camera to document the process so you can post it on the intraweb and take credit for the miracle "Gas Tank dent removal method"

You're welcome!

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

My entire tank has been pushed up about 3 inches for years. the center is pushed up even further. my tank only holds 12 gallons, but I do not have any evap problems or any other problems with it. I suspect that the folks with evap problems after the kilby skid are not properly connecting/disconnecting the high pressure fuel lines because I just cant see the little dimple cause more trouble than the 4 inches my tank is pushed up.
                    It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
                      My entire tank has been pushed up about 3 inches for years. the center is pushed up even further. my tank only holds 12 gallons, but I do not have any evap problems or any other problems with it. I suspect that the folks with evap problems after the kilby skid are not properly connecting/disconnecting the high pressure fuel lines because I just cant see the little dimple cause more trouble than the 4 inches my tank is pushed up.
                      Dang, 4 inches, wow? How'd you get your tank pushed up 5 inches? If my tank were pushed up 6 inches like yours, I'd be worried? It must be almost flat!!

(Sorry, I couldn't help but notice that from when you started your reply to when you ended it, somebody bashed in your tank another inch!!!)

Comment

Dang, 4 inches, wow? How'd you get your tank pushed up 5 inches? If my tank were pushed up 6 inches like yours, I'd be worried? It must be almost flat!!

(Sorry, I couldn't help but notice that from when you started your reply to when you ended it, somebody bashed in your tank another inch!!!)
                        actually I said the entire tank was pushed up 3 inches and further in the center. If you must argue, I should have clarified that it's pushed up nearly 4" in the middle.
                        It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Chris' tank has been mashed flat to become even with the bottom of his bumper. It's actually amazing that it has held up as long as it has. We have a brand new tank sitting in the rafters waiting to go in, but at this point his gas tank has become one of those weird science projects to see just how far something can be pushed.

As for me, I have a Kilby Skid, and have been running it for years with ZERO issues. I love how beefy it is. The Warn skid is just a rip-off of Kilby's skid. Put the two side by side and the only difference you'll see is the Warn name laser cut into it instead of Kilby's. Putting a 1" BL eliminates any issues that someone MIGHT have with this skid, and if you want to run 35's with a 4" lift and not hack the crap out of your fenders, then you're going to be running a 1" BL anyway. Problem solved.

Also, when I put the Kilby Skid on I just left the dent in the tank. I have never noticed any issues with this. Maybe someday when I have to drive my TJ cross-country I might miss the one or two gallons capacity I lost, but otherwise, who cares? It's not leaking, so no worries.
                          '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

The "big issue" with the Kilby skids must be a TJ thing, as I have the _second_ YJ skid he built (installed the day before 9-11), and have had zero problems.
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY
                            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

How about a heat gun on that dent in your plastic tank Mat? I've popped out a few dents in plastic bumpers with careful use of a heat gun. Just don't hold it on one spot too long as a heat gun set on High can melt plastic if you're not careful.
                              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                                How about a heat gun on that dent in your plastic tank Mat? I've popped out a few dents in plastic bumpers with careful use of a heat gun. Just don't hold it on one spot too long as a heat gun set on High can melt plastic if you're not careful.
                                May wanna make sure the tank is empty too!
                                -Bob
                                '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X