Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle swap necessary?

Well, the Missus picked up a 2000 XJ at Pasadena Ford. Pretty sweet machine, looks like it's never been offroad ever.

2000 XJ Sport 4D
    4 speed auto
    ABS ergo D35C axles

Well, she has it in her mind to armor the underside and lift the thing up and up. I think she is contemplating the RE6200 5.5" kit and eventually shoving 31's or 33's under it. Obviously will need a fixed yoke and new driveshaft, but just wondering how much the D35C can really take.

I think rear lockers are eventually a necessity, even with the 5.5" articulation. I know a lot of TJ's run the D35C with locked 33's but the XJ crowd really seems to frown on this axle as being snap-happy.

Is an upgrade to the ChryCo 8.25 a necessity for the above setup? The late 80's XJ Dana 44 would be ideal, but they seem to be getting rarer and rarer. Since bigger tires means regearing and new driveshaft, we'd like to make sure an appropriate axle is under the Jeep. Anyhow thanks for your input.

BTW, most of the wheeling will be SoCal stuff, toughest might be Dishpan/John Bull/Holcomb. We are eventually planning a trip out to Canyonlands and Moab.
    Last edited by jmbrowning; 11-04-03, 04:45 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

the dana 35 is ok, open... as soon as you lock it, i'd step up. a lot of people have succesfully donr the super 35 swap, and been happy with it. if it were me with 32" tires, i'd just carry spare axle shafts, and wheel it till it breaks... then come up with an alternative.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

In my 88 I ran the D35 for a while, but I had AT's and didnt air down as much. IMHO if you plan on playing on rocks, I would find a D44 and bolt that in. I think 87 with the tow package is the most popular. Also, hit up the local junk yards and look under the rear of some XJ's. A D44 has a cover that is ahaped like a sideways Apple, where a D35 is an oval shape. Most of the time the axles in the junk yard can be had for a fair price. Clean it up, toss in some Alloy axles and call it good . . . keep the stock axles as spares. I wouldnt really mess with the D35C, might as well upgrade now and miss the chance of trail breakage.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

If it were me, I'd forget the whole Chrysler 8.25 idea (isn't it a c-clip axle, much like the Dana-35c?). If you can't find a good Dana-44, then you may want to consider the GM 12 bolt, or a Ford 9-inch as an affordable alternative. The 12 bolt is a c-clip axle, but it's built on the magnatude of a 1/2 ton truck capacity, and can handle tires up to 33 inch in size (easily) when it's locked-up. The Ford 9-inch speaks for itself...

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
          If it were me, I'd forget the whole Chrysler 8.25 idea (isn't it a c-clip axle, much like the Dana-35c?). If you can't find a good Dana-44, then you may want to consider the GM 12 bolt, or a Ford 9-inch as an affordable alternative. The 12 bolt is a c-clip axle, but it's built on the magnatude of a 1/2 ton truck capacity, and can handle tires up to 33 inch in size (easily) when it's locked-up. The Ford 9-inch speaks for itself...
          That reminds me. I read somewhere that a 9 inch out of early broncos (60's-late 70's) are a direct fit. i.e. same width and spring perch location. IIRC, but then again, I might be wrong . . . but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Hunting down XJ Dana 44's

Well, I started hunting XJ Dana 44's on the internet. Price range was all over the place from $350 in 310 area code to $1000 in Antelope.

I thought a grand for a decade and a half old rear axle assembly was a bit steep. For that kinda money, I'd go with Currie Enterprises.

The $350 D44 is geared 3.07 but I figure it's gotta get regeared to around 4.10 anyway.

The old Bronco axle swap sounds great, but wasn't able to find any on the Internet.

Well, we may be trucking around this weekend to fetch a D44. Any recommendations on what to specifically look for? I know how to recognize the D44 diff housings. What areas get worn down quickly and damaged easily? What should I expect to be included with the axle assembly?

Thanks in advance for your junkyarding advice!
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Re: Hunting down XJ Dana 44's

Originally posted by jmbrowning
              I thought a grand for a decade and a half old rear axle assembly was a bit steep. For that kinda money, I'd go with Currie Enterprises.
              I've got news for you; a Currie Ford 9-inch is about $3,000 these days (if you get the axle complete, from wheel to wheel, and with a locker in it)...

The old Bronco axle swap sounds great, but wasn't able to find any on the Internet.
              I happen to have an early Bronco Ford 9-inch sitting in my yard (it used to be in the back of my Willys, until I got the Currie axle). It has 4.88 gears, but has an open carrier. Additionally, since it is an early model axle, it has the 28 spline shafts, instead of the later 31 spline shafts (still plenty strong for most applications. The 31 spline shafts are only about 10-12% less strength than Dana-60 shafts). The axle is complete, from wheel to wheel, and all of the brake parts are in great shape. Make me a reasonable offer, and it can be yours...

Comment

this is one out of the recycler... actually a full set

A D C O N T E N T
                Ad Type FOR SALE
                Price $500.00
                Price Negotiability OBO
                Ad Text dana 44 and 9in ford out of `79 ford, unknown ratio, drive shafts, radius arms, and 15x8 steel wheels included
                S P E C I A L P R O M O T I O N S
                C O N T A C T I N F O R M A T I O N
                Name Shaun
                Phone (909) 352-3980 (Click this number to see what city you will be calling)
                eMail jedrattle@charter.net
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                  this is one out of the recycler... actually a full set

A D C O N T E N T
                  Ad Type FOR SALE
                  Price $500.00
                  Price Negotiability OBO
                  Ad Text dana 44 and 9in ford out of `79 ford, unknown ratio, drive shafts, radius arms, and 15x8 steel wheels included
                  S P E C I A L P R O M O T I O N S
                  C O N T A C T I N F O R M A T I O N
                  Name Shaun
                  Phone (909) 352-3980 (Click this number to see what city you will be calling)
                  eMail jedrattle@charter.net
                  If I had $500 lying around . . . :mad: oh well
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                  X