Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Np241 rock track t-case install

im installing a Rubi case in my TJ and need to know where i can find a 32 spline 1310 yoke for the front and back of this case? I want it to fit my original drivshafts. It was mentioned on other boards that all i need to do is ask for a np249 yoke.
    anyone know anything else?
    also should i try and use that stupid flange on the back of the rubi case or get rid of it and use a fixed yoke type (like i have on my SYE) thanks
    Last edited by miguelitojeep97; 03-28-07, 02:26 PM.
    [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Call up Tom Woods, tell him you were referred from MJR and tell him what you want.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Thanks! I got a quote from Tom woods, but I forgot Coast Driveline is very close to my house in Ventura and will be getting exactly what I need! Cant wait. Should I do a write up on this and show everyone what I had to do to install an 04 Rubi case into my 97 TJ? oh man I cant wait to be creepin the trails instead of smokin the clutch!
      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
        Thanks! I got a quote from Tom woods, but I forgot Coast Driveline is very close to my house in Ventura and will be getting exactly what I need! Cant wait. Should I do a write up on this and show everyone what I had to do to install an 04 Rubi case into my 97 TJ? oh man I cant wait to be creepin the trails instead of smokin the clutch!
        jealous
        <><
        4x4him.org

Comment

LOL i would make you even more jelous if I told you how much it will cost for me to do the complete swap! But maybe Ill leave that untill I AM completely done with the swap

Comment

Sleep... sleeeeeep... sleeeeeeeep... look into the spinning disk and concentrate on my voice...only.... my.... voice... you will immediately ship that nasty old NP241 Rock transfer case here to my office......... slowly awaken now and as you do so, you will remember nothing... remember nothing.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

ive got a rubi t/c and havent decided what i want to do with it yet, do the write up, im interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                Sleep... sleeeeeep... sleeeeeeeep... look into the spinning disk and concentrate on my voice...only.... my.... voice... you will immediately ship that nasty old NP241 Rock transfer case here to my office......... slowly awaken now and as you do so, you will remember nothing... remember nothing.

UPS man just picked it up......coming your way........now that $3,000 check is coming my way, right?

p.s. great JP issue got to my appt!! lots of super great info!!
                Last edited by miguelitojeep97; 03-28-07, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Im not very good at explaining how I do things, so I will try and give you guys the basics thta was done to make this install complete.

1st off let me tell you th eonly thing that will bolt/plug right in, is the tranny and vent hose. I believe just for a 97-98 TJ jeep wrangler. Before I started my install I tried to get all my parts needed so I wouldnt be running around at the last minute. The NV241OR Rubicon transfer case comes with 32 spline output shafts, on the front come with a 1330 cv yoke and the rear comes with a flange.
                  http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../T-case003.jpg

With the help from Coast Driveline in Ventura Ca. http://www.coastdriveline.com/htmlfolder/contact.html
                  I was able to score 2, 1310 style yokes that will bolt right up to my current driveshafts.

1310 on left 1330 on right

I also noticed that the speedo gear and wiring was different from my NP231. The 231 has an actual gear, and the Rubicon transfer case comes with a magnetic speedo sensor. The new wiring does not plug right into the harness. Along with this, I knew the 4x4 light would also not work.

I did the wiring last, but I went to a local auto parts store and picked up a 3-wire connector that is weather resistant. One huge thing that helped out was a wiring diagram I got from TeraFlex. There SYE kit gives you the cennector you need and has a wire diagram chart for what color wire does what. The place I got the info has not been working since I used it, but ill give the color combos later.

Comment

So basically I thought I would have the most trouble with wiring and maybe some shift linkage stuff. It turns out that the Transmission mount will not clear the new and much larger NV241OR. I was kind of stumped at this point and actually got an used Rubicon skid plate to see if that would work. I soon found out the frame bolts would not line up right. I ended up buying new Grade 8 bolts for the mount and made about a one inch spacer

this is the gap, because it hits on the lower pic

so an easy fix(I know its not the best solution but it has been very solid so far and most of the weight is on the skid plate anyway)

so now that I had the mount figured out, the size of the new case is not supposed to be used with the older style skid from 97-98. The newer cross member skid plates are much larger and have plenty of room for the Rock-Trac t-case. In order to make all the geometry in the shift linkage the same, and not have the case hitting the tub, I HAD to either put a body lift or a t-case drop.
                    this angle has to be even or links will rub
                    I just so happen to have my old (but brand new) 1 inch lowering kit. This works perfect, but I really dont like losing another inch of clearance so will probably be doing a body lift later on towards summer.

One thing that really confused me was the shift pattern on the two cases. ON THE ACTUAL CASE they shift differtly. Its hard to explain unless you are looking at it in front of you.

Basically the rod im holding PUSHES down on the lever on the case(green spot), pushes down to get to 4LO. and the Rubicon transfer case it actually shifts upwards towards the tub of the vehicle.

you can see the different positions of the lever when they are both in 4low here:
                    Last edited by miguelitojeep97; 04-09-07, 06:26 PM.

Comment

hopefully I am making sense when im showing these pictures, trust me this was a BIG project and there were tiems where I didnt think I would be able to pull it off, doing 95% of the work by myself and the Rubi case is NOT very light weight.
                      So along with my troubles with the shift linkage you CAN re-use old stuff. You can buy a new bracket from Skyjacker or Novak adapters but I was in a time constraint. The rod that goes from the shift handle(inside the cab) to the lever on the case has to be shortened a little less than an inch. I bought some small tubing and was going to cutt and sleev it to the size I need. Just to see if it would work, I just bent the rod. Luckily enough it works fine(for now).

so i just left it for now.
                      these are the 3-wire plugs I got:

Im sure I left out a lot, but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask!!! I searched everywhere and got very little feedback so basically had to figuer it out as I went. Everything is solid and works great. I have not had any "real" testing done with the new 4:1 but from the my experiences on going through the neighors empty lot and short wall in front of our house all I can say is.....wow...Johnsone valley here I come..again! On the street in 4LO i slammed on my brakes and could not stop my jeep or stall it. I cant wait to get it out on some rocks. Well here are some more random pics! hope you enjoy!

:gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :thumbs_up

Comment

Thanks for posting all that great information and the photos of the job! Heck, I never guessed installing that particular transer case into a non-Rubicon would have involved all that.

You said you couldn't stop or stall it, what did you mean by that? That's normally only a problem when an automatic transmission is installed.
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Mike,
                          Did you put that thing in backwards?? Juz kiddin. Lot's of work you did there my man, good job. So when do we go try er out?
                          Kurt
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

haha the "not being able to stop" thing is great! I guess I just need to get use to the low gearing. Before I could idle in 4lo and creep a long but not much power behind it. Now i can just use the clutch to stop and go. +with my hand throttle I will be good to go!

As for testing it out on a REAL trail, I would love to go ASAP!!! Anyone know of and good rock gardens or recreational parks near SDSU?

Comment

If anyone is looking into doing this swap and is worried about all that wiring (like I was), here is the wiring diagram for the speedo:

Comment

Working...
                              X