Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thought 33's or 35's

I have a 90Yj I'm putting 4.5" RE Extreme sprngs with 1.5" shackles.
    Would you run 33's or 35's? The only thing is for now I have stock rears
    I'm not sure the gearing but I'll hopefully soon be doing a rear swap or at least a regear. Any thoughts would be helpful.

the way i look at it, if you have a dana 35 in the rear stock gearing, i wouldnt go over a 31. with that said, given a different axle like maybe an 8.8 or a 44, i'd do 35's and either 4.88's or 4.56's. thats just me. get rid of the turdy5 if you got one.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

yeah, the 35 is lacking. I'd say get and 8.8...they are easier to find, kinda cheaper, easier to bolt in, and I believe that they are stronger than the D44
      WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

I have a 95 yj with the R.E 4.5" lift. I have a d35 with a detroit locker and 33's and haven't had a problem yet going on 2 years. If you want to run 35's you will probably need to cut sheet metal or put on a body lift. I am planning on installing a ford 8.8 I am just waiting untill my tires need replacing or I break the D35.
        :wink:

Comment

I ran 33's on my D35 for a few years (some treacherous driving too) without a break but I've seen a few break. I've got 3.55 gears, 4.2 carburated mule and would'nt do it with less. Currently going to an 8.8, 35's and regearing to 4.88. I'm also going to 1 ton steering and beefing up the front driveshaft because the 35's will probably take those out on the trail.
          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

the XJ's have a HP30 don't they? If so, you should be fine running 35's on it. Beefing it up wouldn't hurt though!
            WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
            [_____]
            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
            []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by medicmahem View Post
              I have a 95 yj with the R.E 4.5" lift. I have a d35 with a detroit locker and 33's and haven't had a problem yet going on 2 years. If you want to run 35's you will probably need to cut sheet metal or put on a body lift. I am planning on installing a ford 8.8 I am just waiting untill my tires need replacing or I break the D35.
              I have a 93 YJ w/the same lift, running 33" MTR's, 4.88 gears with 4:1 gearing in the transfer case for the last year and a half.
              Yesterday I killed my D35 while climbing a 3 foot ledge out in Calico.
              1) Tore the u-joint strap clean off when the bolts sheared.
              2) passenger side-spit the axle shim out from under the axle when the locator pin broke-still don't know where that shim is!
              3) driver side-spun the axle tube-it twisted about three inches around-the shock mounts are all a skew...

Thank God for two things:
              1) Point Magu 4x4 club came by and went above and beyond the call by helping a total stranger. There help WILL NOT be forgotten.
              2) AAA Plus membership-they paid for 100 of the 128 miles of towing

Moral of the story-wheel on mild trails w/a D35, but know that it WILL eventually break.
              Money pit!

Comment

the hp 30 isnt an issue. ive been running a low pinion tj 30 with an arb and warn inners and outers for 7 yrs no prob to date., the problem will be the 35. the 35 isnt one of those internet "get rid of it" type of mods that need to be addressed. it really is a POS. some people wheel em for a few yrs til they go, some cant drive up a curb w/o them snapping. either way it will go. just a matter of time.

to be very honest , to build a 1/2 trail worthy vehicle, get rid of the 35 1st and foremost. when i got my 44 put into the rear of my tj, the 8.8 wasnt really known. i did it in like 98-99. the 8.8 is stronger than a 44, but you'll have to get brackets for it, GREAT time to do a 4 link, great time to do a outboard shockset up, and hell, even a great time to do a coil over. not to much bracketry will be needed if you do those 3. the axles of the 8.8 are comparable to a dana 60. you will also need to weld the tubes on since they are stamped in and not welded. that runs a risk of spinning out. thats about it.
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

do you guys think a beefed up hp30 (i.e. alloy axles w/ locker) will hold up to say...37s? I know this is probably a no cuz i have a short arm kit and week steering still. just thought i would ask
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

No way will a HP or LP D30 hold up for long with 37" tires. And without getting rid of the D35c in the back of the YJ, I wouldn't run 35" tires. I'd stick with 33" until you can replace the D35c with a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                      No way will a HP or LP D30 hold up for long with 37" tires. And without getting rid of the D35c in the back of the YJ, I wouldn't run 35" tires. I'd stick with 33" until you can replace the D35c with a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8.
                      I ordered my Currie 9" this morning. After my adventure this weekend (see previous post) it looks like it'll be 4-5 weeks before they have my axle ready Although I did ask them if they could do it in two weeks.......I want to attend the 4th annual IDTT!
                      Money pit!

Comment

A Currie 9" up front... sweet! :tongue:
                        Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 03-22-07, 05:17 PM.
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                          A Ford 9" up front... sweet! :tongue:
                          Damn, Jerry is everywhere!! oh and Kunkur.

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                            I ordered my Currie 9" this morning. After my adventure this weekend (see previous post) it looks like it'll be 4-5 weeks before they have my axle ready Although I did ask them if they could do it in two weeks.......I want to attend the 4th annual IDTT!
                            How much was the axle if you don't mind me asking ?
                            :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                              do you guys think a beefed up hp30 (i.e. alloy axles w/ locker) will hold up to say...37s? I know this is probably a no cuz i have a short arm kit and week steering still. just thought i would ask
                              sure it will.. my friend is runnin 36" iroks on his with alloy shafts and an arb. he has had no problems with the axle(he did mess up his stock tie rod but now its beefed up) and he as run the con twice and many other local trails.
                              therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Working...
                              X