Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking help with shifting problem.

Hi, My mechanical expertise peaks at using a knife and fork so I'm looking for some help. I've been having problems get my 89 yj into gear so I took it to a shop and had the clutch master cylinder replaces. $145.00 later and it seems worse! There’s no grinding (or at least very very little) but its very hard to downshift and almost impossible to get into 1st. The clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor and when I start it, it wants to go, the clutch is slightly engaged even with the pedal on the floor. The pedal has little to no pressure. If I pump it about a thousand times if gets a little stiffer (no jokes please) and if I rev it up I can get it into gear sometimes. Up shifting is easier but not normal. Does the pedal need adjusting? do I need a clutch kit? Any help greatly appreciated.
    "Wheresoever the light is brightest,
    there also the shadows are darkest."

Hmm...no idea about your clutch, but your gears sound like a synch may be going out.
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

Comment

Sounds like a slave cylinder to me. Look at your bellhousing you should see clutch fluid leaking there. You have to drop the tranny to get to the slave cylinder so if that is the problem and you have a shop do it it is going to cost you. If you do it yourself I would go ahead and do the clutch too. One more thing if you are buying the parts I would by the luk clutch kit from Dial a clutch it includes the slave cylinder and costs just under $200. Sorry for my rambling I happen to be going through the same problem.
      <><
      4x4him.org

Comment

Mystery solved

Found out it's going to need a clutch kit. Had it checked by a very good mechanic, so I'm savin my pennys, should be up & running in a week or so. Thanx for all the info.
        "Wheresoever the light is brightest,
        there also the shadows are darkest."

Comment

Working...
        X