Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a CJ5, not sure I should get it though...

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a CJ5, not sure I should get it though...

I found a 76? CJ5 for $500. They dropped a completely rebuilt carbed 4.0L, some things in the drivetrain are new but I dont remember what, new 32x11.5 MTR's wit a full size spare, and a custom cage of some sort (has bars going across the top of the seats and down the sides by the door like a car would with a cage).. I think thats it...

Anyways, the body is pretty rough. He replaced the drivers rear quarter, cut out the passenger floor and has the replacement for it but its not in yet, and the rest of the body needs new skin minus the hood. Its all pretty rusty, looks like swiss cheese holes all over. They would probably hold up just fine, but its kinda ugly. But otherwise its in good shape.

I'm looking for a trail rig. Something I don't need to worry about driving everyday incase something goes wrong. How hard is it to tack new panels on? I checked prices and they arent bad at all for panels, a new tub is ridiculous though.

Is $500 worth the effort? I know I cant even get those tires for $500... but I would have to do the work myself and if its more than I can chew then I dont know if I want to get it. Mechanics I have no problem... I built my car from the ground up from just the shell, I just didnt need to do any welding of body parts. I can weld, but i have never tried body parts so I dont know if its a difficult thing or not...
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Its more diffcult to weld sheet metal because its so thing, but its doable as long as you keep the heat low, and go little by little so you dont burn therough the sheet metal.

IMO, i would snag that and just turn it into a trail rig. the motor and tires alone are worth well over $500. Just wheel it ugly. When your on the trail no one cares what it looks like.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
      ...When your on the trail no one cares what it looks like.
      Yeah, I agree. If you're really self consious the welding is gonna take a little while, as it's gotta be done little by little on a really low heat setting (Found this out while trying to weld a fender), That, and the CJ5's ride REALLY rough...though they are wonderfully awsome Jeeps. But yeah, your motor and tires are WELL worth over $500, so i'd say buy it, and if you decide you can't handle the project you can part it out, and sell what you can't part out to a junkyard, and make money!
      WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

if its not ugly it will be after a few good runs lol I get it

Comment

GET IT you will learn alot with a beater.....and You will become everybodys best freind after you learn
          Head nut at Outdoorlogic
          Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
          www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

hell if your not going to get it then post the guys number. sounds like there is some interest!! but buy it. regret buying it for 500 then for not buying it. and why weld? rivet!! so much easier. then spray it with bed liner and nobody will ever know!
            :devil: Giffer

Comment

i'm with everyone else, buy it!

even if it's too much for you, you could get 200+ for the steel at a scrap yard, and part the motor and tires and what not out. hell, you could probably list it on here and make a profit from the looks of things!

Comment

Alright ya talked me into it. I don't know when exactly as i have some thigns to take care of this month, but probably beginning of next month I will pick it up. Its a buddys of mine so I dont have to jump right to it...

I was thinking of wheeling it this summer as she is, then once winter comes again then I might see about replacing body panels. Or part it like some of you say. See how things go. Would the axles work in my YJ?

I will post up pics when I get it.
                Yellow 01 Sport
                4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

Working...
                X