Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Grand Cherokee " death wobble"

I was wondering if there is anyone that has a lifted grand cherokee that doesn't have a death wobble. I have replaced the wheel bearings, Ball joints(moog), tie rods(moog), shocks(edelbrock ias), track bar(rusty's offroad),stabilizer shock(rancho),and over sized sway bars. Had the jeep aligned. The jeep only has the 2 inch spring blocks, and 30x9.5 bfg all terrain t/a s. I want to put a 3.5 inch lift on it but am afraid to because of the wobble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Bucksnort; 02-28-07, 02:10 PM.

I'm at 5 1/4 in w/out deathwobble.I know its hit and miss w/grands. I had it when I was at 2in but a adj, track bar fixed it.You may want to replace all your control arm bushings if they are still stock.
    95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

Comment

Snagged this from the FAQ section... Maybe some of this will help:

What is death wobble?
      You'll know it if you experience it. Death wobble is when your jeep suddenly, and violently, begins to shake back and forth. It often comes after hitting a bump, and USUALLY at higher speeds. It is truly frightening. This is not to be confused with tire shimmy, where the steering wheel gets a shake in it at certain speeds.

What causes Death Wobble?
      Death wobble is typically caused by
      A) Out of balance tires or out of round wheels.
      B) Loose track bar.
      C) Worn front-end joints. (tie rod ends, track bar, ball joints, etc)
      D) Bad alignment.
      E) Bad caster angle.
      F) Bad steering stabilizer.

There are kits out there to correct the effects of high lifts, but usually it comes down to checking those 6 things.
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

99% of the time DW is caused by improper toe settings.

post up what your toe settings are, the alignment shop should have given it to you.

you want about 1/4" toe in on a zj, that should work fine and fix your issue
        UHH....DUUUHHH

Comment

total toe .17 specified range .04 to .44 degrees Had it realigned today set toe in to .43 degrees still have death wobble
          Last edited by Bucksnort; 03-02-07, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksnort View Post
            total toe .17 specified range .04 to .44 degrees Had it realigned today set toe in to .43 degrees still have death wobble
            Check the steering stabilizer... also make sure you dont have a bent rim or something
            UHH....DUUUHHH

Comment

when i had my zj it was always the trackbar lower bushing. or hub wheel bearing ass.

Comment

Working...
              X