Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC 304 Tanny

Woot! I'm thinking of putting an AMC 304 in my my YJ, out of an old CJ (or maybe a javlelin...who knows), but I don't like the idea of having a 3 speed transmission, just because of the gas mileage. I know the the V8's gonna get really bad gas mileage anyway, but keep in mind, even WITH the V8, it's gonna be a daily driver, so I'm looking for allt he gas mileage I can get, so a three speed transmission just isn't gonna cut it. Does anybody know of any adapters made for the 304 that will adapt a four or five speed to this motor?
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

Originally posted by YJwonderboy View Post
    Woot! I'm thinking of putting an AMC 304 in my my YJ, out of an old CJ (or maybe a javlelin...who knows), but I don't like the idea of having a 3 speed transmission, just because of the gas mileage. I know the the V8's gonna get really bad gas mileage anyway, but keep in mind, even WITH the V8, it's gonna be a daily driver, so I'm looking for allt he gas mileage I can get, so a three speed transmission just isn't gonna cut it. Does anybody know of any adapters made for the 304 that will adapt a four or five speed to this motor?

Anything you can put behind a 4.0 or 4.2 will bolt up. A t5 will not hold up but you may want to try a nv3550 5spd. Look on the Novak or Advance Adapters sites for addition information.
    I can break a steel ball in a rubber room.
    Shaffers Offroad - El Diablo III - Soon!

Comment

Didn't the 4.2 come with a peugeot? The AX15 would be really good, as it's a medium/heavy duty transmission (It's technically a medium duty, but they hold up better than a LOT of transmissions in its category), I may have ot look in to the nv3550. Thanks for the info, you rock!
      WTF Mate?

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

Didn't the 4.2 come with a peugeot? The AX15 would be really good, as it's a medium/heavy duty transmission (It's technically a medium duty, but they hold up better than a LOT of transmissions in its category), I may have ot look in to the nv3550. Thanks for the info, you rock!
        The 4.2 in a CJ came with a bunch of tranny options T4, T5, T18, SR4?, etc. and the pugeot in the YJ. An AX15 is a decent tranny behind a 4.0L, but the torque of a 304 would likely hurt it. The 3550 is a better choice.

Comment

O.O I have a question on this motor swap. The NV3550 sounds like the way to go. Now the 304 is a larger motor, so how much work would I have to put into placement of things? Is the 304 a short enough block that i can drop it in without having to move the transmission back, and shortening the driveshaft, because from what i've read, the NP231J T-case will bolt to it, making it seems rather ideal
          WTF Mate?

______
          [_____]
          (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
          []--o---[]

Comment

Ok, I've looked, and i've looked, but can't find an adapter. I was thinking about the T5 transmission. It's said they are a light duty transmission....but is it still a decently strong tranny?
            WTF Mate?

______
            [_____]
            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
            []--o---[]

Comment

Ok, I've looked, and i've looked, but can't find an adapter. I was thinking about the T5 transmission. It's said they are a light duty transmission....but is it still a decently strong tranny?
              I would not put a stock Jeep t5 behind a v8. If you upgrade third gear and go thru it it will hold for a while. (Using the world class t5 parts)

I once shattered third in a CJ7 with a stock 258 with a quick shift.

Comment

You were only running a 258? Wow! This is proving difficult...but who said a motor swap was gonna be easy. I WANT A 5-SPEED!! AND I WON'T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS.

anybody got any opinions?
                WTF Mate?

______
                [_____]
                (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                []--o---[]

Comment

Working...
                X