Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiffned up the XJ uni-body

With a set of Frame StiffnerZ from TnT
    These have been sitting in the garage for a month now, got going on them yesterday morning. Ive been waiting to do these so i can start my cage next.
    Here is how my rockrails mount to the uni-body 12 self tappers.

We decided we would weld them to the stiffnerz instead of drilling through 3/16 plate.
    Started removing the rockrails.. Then removing the crossmember and supporting the tranny.

mocked up the stiffnerZ and marked where to grind. We didnt grind off all the undercoating, only where we were going to weld.

Once we grinded is was time to weld.

Rockrails welded

Mounted the parking brake cables back in the same location

pained

And thats the end of that...

Looking good! I've been trying to decide between those or just making my own.

Comment

Its a cool product and i wish i did this before i even started wheeling the thing, but better late then never. As you know the uni-body isnt straight, this thing takes the shape of the uni-body which is pretty cool and having the cross-member stud holes pre drilled out makes it easy.

Comment

I just checked the TNT website and it looks like these will fit the ZJ as well.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/zj_u...stiffeners.asp

I have been thinking about stiffening the uni-body for a while and this may be the way I go. Thanks for the write-up!
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

nice i just bought the steel to do that myself, thing is i think im to late, doors shut good but ive got some other issues, //Kevin

Comment

I did my own.

BTW if you get som 4x6 .250 wall boxed tubing, plasma it down the middle it will maike 2 U channels that are snug tight to the unibody.. I cut it in the spots where the unibody angles and also drilled about 50 plug holes into each side of it.

then hammered into place (its tight) and plug welded all of the spots..

all of my crossmembers, rear LCA's rear UCA mounts are all tied off it.. the jeep is NOTICEbly stiffer..

here are some pics of the subframe with UCA's welded on

UHH....DUUUHHH

Comment

Thanks for the pic and great fab work Mike. I don't plan on going to long arms anytime soon and I'm not sure I want to get involved in cutting off my current UCA mounts, but it gives me something more to think about.
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
              X