Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low voltage Help

I have an 86 CJ7(258 6 cyl.) and it suddenly died on me while idling.It turns over,but won't fire.I get 11.77 volts when measuring the hot wire going to the coil when I unplug it from the coil.But as soon as I connect it back to the coil,my voltage drops to around 6.32 volts.I have a new coil, distributor,cap,and rotor.Has anyone had this problem that could possibly steer me in the right direction?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

are you getting 12v to the coil input?
    Are you running a balast resistor

Comment

Yes.I have 12 volts at the coil input.But Im not sure about a balast resistor.

Comment

I had an old truck that had the same problem. It was the ballast resistor going bad. Dirt, grime?? I never figured out why they go but they do. Should be a cheap fix.

Comment

I hate to sound like an idiot.But I haven't heard of that.Where is it located lol?

Comment

Originally posted by boomer75007 View Post
            I hate to sound like an idiot.But I haven't heard of that.Where is it located lol?
            I haven't heard of it either, hopefully we're not both idiots!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

LOL....I know it exist.But I don't have a clue where to locate it.Can someone help me locate the ballast resistor?

Comment

Look on the firewall
                I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Working...
                X