Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame rail bolt

Does anyone know what size bolt will fit into the 2 threaded holes that are on the bottom side of the frame rails? This is for a YJ but I believe the TJ's have the same pair of holes. Need to tie in my rear bumper to the frame. Hopefully that will keep my tire rack from shaking.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Jason View Post
    Does anyone know what size bolt will fit into the 2 threaded holes that are on the bottom side of the frame rails? This is for a YJ but I believe the TJ's have the same pair of holes. Need to tie in my rear bumper to the frame. Hopefully that will keep my tire rack from shaking.

Thanks.
    i think those are 1/2" jason.
    those bolts may help the tire carrier, but will not completely solve the issue.
    with the boomerangs, the bolt myy inhibit the movement of the shackles. it did on mine.

a strap welded to the top of your frame, brought back to the ~3x3 l metal area and bolted to that would solve it (i think).
    didnt you buy a welder?
    mine is disconnected from power att the moment, but i'd be glad to show you what i mean if you want to come by.
    Erik
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
      a strap welded to the top of your frame, brought back to the ~3x3 l metal area and bolted to that would solve it (i think).
      didnt you buy a welder?
      mine is disconnected from power att the moment, but i'd be glad to show you what i mean if you want to come by.
      Erik
      Yea I bought a welder. Rat came by and I was able to christen it. Just wanted to be sure I had some clue what I was doing. I asked him if he thought my welding would hold and he grabbed my 3oz sledge and tested the weld I put on the new spring hanger. What do you know? It held. So, I'm almost drivable again. I still need a lot of practice welding. Rat's welds looked a lot better than mine. But I discovered welding is really not that hard.

As for the straps, I have some scrap steel I was able to gather up and had considered what you are suggesting. I wasn't sure if welding a strap on the bottom of the bumper and then to the frame rail or both top and bottom would be better.

If my life would just slow down a little bit so I can jump off for a while, I'll call you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        Yea I bought a welder. Rat came by and I was able to christen it. Just wanted to be sure I had some clue what I was doing. I asked him if he thought my welding would hold and he grabbed my 3oz sledge and tested the weld I put on the new spring hanger. What do you know? It held. So, I'm almost drivable again. I still need a lot of practice welding. Rat's welds looked a lot better than mine. But I discovered welding is really not that hard.

As for the straps, I have some scrap steel I was able to gather up and had considered what you are suggesting. I wasn't sure if welding a strap on the bottom of the bumper and then to the frame rail or both top and bottom would be better.

If my life would just slow down a little bit so I can jump off for a while, I'll call you.
        any time, Jason.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm about 99 percent sure on a TJ the two bottom bolts on the rear frame for the bumper tie in are metric. The head is 18mm.
          I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
          X