Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto for '79 v8 cj

Looking for some advice on what automatic trans to put in my cj. I do alot of trails in colorado and some trips to moab. So the jeep gets pretty good abuse. I'm going to have new front and rear dana 44's with lockers this year to. Thanks for any info
    '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

OK!

I have my fair share of off road rags for just this sort of occasion.

according to four wheeler magazine, here's a list of the 5 best Automatic transmissions and some info on them (they have one for manauls too if you're interested)

1. Model- Turbo-Hydromatic 350
    small, light, and easily adaptable.
    Case Material- Cast Aluminum
    Length- 21.75 inches
    Weight- 120 Lbs.
    Ratios- 1st 2.52:1, 2nd 1.52:1, 3rd 1.00:1
    The Good- Easy adaptability, strong front pump, input shaft, and drum.
    The Bad- The intermediate sprag is weak, and when it fails, the transmission can lose second gear.

2. Model- Turbo-Hydromatic 400
    (my pick, these things can take a beating) Durable and rated at 450 lb-ft of input torque in stock form.
    Length- 24.37 inches
    Weight- 135 Lbs.
    Ratios- 1st 2.48:1, 2nd 1.48:1, 3rd 1.00:1
    The Good- Like the TH350 the TH400 is easily adaptable to a number of engine/transfer-case combinations: it has a strong front pump, input shaft, and drum.
    The Bad- Like the TH350, the intermediate sprag is weak and can cause to lose second gear, and even reverse when it fails.

3. Model- Turbo-Hydromatic 700R4
    Could be the finest automatic overdrive transmission ever produced
    Case Material- Cast aluminum
    Length- 23.4 Inches
    Weight- 155 Lbs.
    Ratios- 1st 3.06:1, 2nd 1.63:1, 3rd 1.00:1, 4th 0.70:1
    The good- The input shaft was especially stout, The pros say to purchase a later model 700R4 because many of the internal parts were improved from their predecessors.
    The bad- If the throttle cable isn't set up right, it can alter the transmission line pressure, which will result in overall transmission failure.

4. Model- TorqueFlite 727
    Pletiful and extremly durable (but Mopar and some scout folks already knew that)
    Length- 34 Inches
    Weight- 145 Lbs.
    Ratios- 1st 2.45:1, 2nd 1.45:1, 3rd 1.00:1
    The good- Transmission builders generally agree that the 727 is a tough trans overall. Back in the day it was used in funny cars.
    The bad- In stock form, the rear sprag can fail. When it does, the trans can literally grenade, causing catastrophic damage

5. Model- Ford C6
    Ford's durable success story
    Length- 33 Inches
    Weight- 160 Lbs.
    Ratios- 1st 2.46:1, 2nd 1.46:1, 3rd 1.00:1
    The good- High horse-power capable, a real workhorse
    The bad- A little porky weight-wise, and in stock form it robbed a lot of horse power from the engine due toits thrust washers and overall heavy parts.

Now this list is straight out of four wheeler, so all credit goes to them, they also mention GM's 4L60-E Hydromatic and the 545RFE from the 02' Grand Cherokee

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by killwhytey07; 02-09-07, 06:18 AM.

Comment

tf 727

I think that I am going to go with the torqueflight 727 anyone know any tricks that I should know before install. Also any good recomandations of where to get one. Thanks
      '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

Working...
      X