Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunno where else to turn...

Brakes are brakes right?

This question has to do with my 81 subaru GL, but that's not too important. What happened was this, my brake pad came off and destroyed my rusted caliper, so i put a new caliper on, and new front brake pads. After I did this, my brakes stop working all together. My driver side (old caliper) has great pressure when I bleed the brakes, shoots like a jet. The passenger side (new caliper) on the other hand is real weak, and the piston won't clamp at all, won't even move.

what I can't figure out, is why? I thought maybe it was clogged line going to the passenger side caliper, but before al this happened the brakes worked fine. I was thinking maybe something wrong with the booster or the master cylinder, but I have good pressure on the drivers side.

I'm really at a loss on this, and I've been without a car for a while because of it.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

(this may not be a jeep in reality, but it's my jeep in spirit till I find me a TJ!)

I am not sure, so this is just a guess.
    I know that on jeeps the combination valve has a plunger in it that will slam forward if the brakes lose pressure. this means you'll still have brakes if one of the lines gets cut. i had this happen to me and an old guy put a pressure pump on the back of the valve and you could hear the plunger pop back. When it happened to me, I lost all the rear brakes, not side to side. Your subaru may be different.
    It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Did you have the brake line to the passenger side caliper open for a long time? Did a lot of fluid come out when you had it disconnected? Did you bleed the brake line sufficiently? If there is any air in the line it will cause the symptoms your describing. You might try a power brake bleeder, you can rent them at some auto parts stores. Also make sure the new caliper piston is not stuck. Is there a flex line installed? As old as your car is it might be deteriorating and small peices of rubber might clog the fitting at the caliper.
      Rat
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Yes, we bled the brakes until it was impossible for there to be air in the lines, the problem isn't air, it's lack of pressure.

It's sort of like a garden hose with a kink the way the fluid comes out. the caliper is brand new, and the only original parts on it is the bracket holiding the brake pads, and the brake line the connects to it, also the banjo bolt... could possibly be that, I'll have to check it out tonight.

Comment

Sounds like the master went
          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

is the bleeder at the top or bottom of your new caliper?
            confirm and report back.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Did you also bleed the rear brakes? I don't know about 81 Subarus, but on some vehicles, the right front and left rear brakes will be on one line, and the left front and right rear will be on another line. If your left rear isn't getting pressure, then I would check for a kinked line or a problem with the master cylinder.
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
              KI6MLU

Comment

we actually didn't bleed the rear, just used to doing a front/rear set up, the cars not here, it's in my friends shop, so I'm not sure where the bleeder is.

I'm goin over friday to mess with it a little, try bleeding all the lines one more time, and if the doesn't work, I'll be sure to let you know haha

thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Working...
                X