Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it really matter?

This may be the wrong place, but I couldn't find the right one. Does it really matter what model jeep you get? I mean the cj, yj, tj, and all that, the sahara. What does cj yc and tj mean anyways? Whats the difference?
    If it aint green, it aint clean

Originally posted by provin1327 View Post
    This may be the wrong place, but I couldn't find the right one. Does it really matter what model jeep you get? I mean the cj, yj, tj, and all that, the sahara. What does cj yc and tj mean anyways? Whats the difference?
    If you care it means a lot, if you don't, it doesn't. Look for the Illustrated Jeep Buyers Guide by Jim Allen - it will help you decide.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

^^ any where on the net where I can see that? I care about specifics, like mpg, price, and of course I want to be able to have some fun, but not have to upgrade it to get alot out of it.

Comment

^^ any where on the net where I can see that? I care about specifics, like mpg, price, and of course I want to be able to have some fun, but not have to upgrade it to get alot out of it.
        wow, the holy grail of jeeps, do not have to upgrade

basiccly, cjs, yjs,tjs and now jks are the basic platform, in whatever generation they are in
        Sahara, renegade, islander, x, se, etc, are trim models.

most bang for the buck with no mods, get a Rubicon
        Probably the best canidate for a cheap Jeep would be a later YJ (square headlights). THey are relitively cheap, still can find low mileage ones and a few simple mods and you are ready to rock.
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

rubicons are to much for me right now, its my first car. My friend has a yj, 1995, its got 130K miles on it I think, and he paid 6,000. My mom says thats alot for a jeep, but around here they are very popular so people pay more.

Comment

if jeeps are popular where you are... talk to people with mods in them... see what you want yours to look like.. then search for the right one to suit your needs...
            therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

^^ no they are in popular demand, although I dont see tons of people driving them. People like them here because of the snow, and then in the summer they can go in the hills, mountains, trees, anywhere. Ill probably go with what I can get below 5 or 4 K

Comment

^^ no they are in popular demand, although I dont see tons of people driving them. People like them here because of the snow, and then in the summer they can go in the hills, mountains, trees, anywhere. Ill probably go with what I can get below 5 or 4 K
                then you are lookin at either a cj or a yj...
                therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

yea do you think a yj would be better, not as old? My mom doesn't want to spend any money, she keeps saying "Well theres little cars parked over on the air force base for just a few thousand" And I say "mom i dont want a car, we live in colorado" So im looking to spend less, but she also doesn't want alot of miles. So would you suggest looking for a pretty cheap yj, or a cj?

Comment

The CJ was the first Jeep mass produced for public civilian use. It sarted with the Willys style frame back in like the 40's. Later they started making th CJ5, which was a very short bodied jeep with an "S" shape in the door frame. They made these all the way until like the Mid to late 70's when they started making the slightly longer CJ7. The CJ7 is a circular headlight style Jeep like all CJ's and had the "A" frame style roll bars,Like the CJ5. They made the CJ7 up until '86 when the Wrangler took over. The first wranglers were more CJ7 than they were what most people consider a wrangler. IN FACT the CJ7 and the YJ Wrangler (The first generation of Wranglers) shared the same frame. Many people recondition their old CJ's with YJ tubs. The first YJ's with the Six cylinder came with a 4.2 Liter straight 6. They were carbuerated. The YJ had the infamous square headlights (THE ONLY WRANGLER TO EVER HAVE THEM!!). Also...with the Wranglers Jeep stopped putting V8's in their shortbodies. In 1990 jeep converted to a fuel injected I6. In '92 they introduced the Sport Bar. It was a square shaped rool bar that offered the passenger area with protection in a roll over. In '96 they discontinued the YJ and in 97 began production of the TJ. The TJ was Jeep'sintroduction into the age of technology in autos. It had AC, radio, and other critter comforts. Also with the TJ Wrangler Jeep did away with using distributers in their Vehicles. Instead they started using a crank shaft sensor. The TJ also went back to the classic round headlight design. Also with the TJ came the use of a coil spring suspension. Jeep made the TJ's up until '06 when they were discontinued. In '07 Jeep has started making the JK Wrangler. A slightly longer jeep than the CJ7, YJ, and TJ. The JK offers a new sleeker body style, and V6, something Jeep has yet to offer in any of its vehicles. It's a very "modern" jeep with plenty of critter comforts!

Now for the next explantion. The Trims!! The "S" package is pretty much the base model wrangler, the sahara is a jeep package offering some different color packages with painted fenders. I don't know of any axle options though. The wrangler "X" is a sportier jeep. The Rubicon, which was started with the Late model TJs is Jeep's pride and joy. With Dana 44 axles in the front and rear with optional lockers, the Rubicon came in both the Hard and softop. It was named after the famed "Rubicon" trail in California, as it is named as such, as it said to be able to tackle the trail in its completely stock form. In earlier years of Jeep there were such trims as the "Levi Package" wich in CJ's the seat had a jean denim apolstery. And the TJ had the APEX package, which are in no way common. They were essentially a Wrangler "X", but with a premium sound system, and leather seating. Also they had a hood decal with the term APEX across it. (My dad happens to own one)

Well...that's about it. Listed are some of the Jeep models.
                    CJ- Original civilian jeep
                    YJ- Wrangler with square headlights
                    TJ- Wrangler with round headlights
                    JK- Newest wrangler
                    XJ- Jeep Cherokee
                    WJ- Jeep Grand Cherokee
                    ...I don't know what the ZJ is...I think it's the liberty...but those may be the LJ...if such a two letter term exists. ^.^

Hope you found this helpful
                    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                    [_____]
                    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                    []--o---[]

Comment

^^ that helped alot.

Comment

Well...that's about it. Listed are some of the Jeep models.
                        CJ- Original civilian jeep
                        YJ- Wrangler with square headlights
                        TJ- Wrangler with round headlights
                        JK- Newest wrangler
                        XJ- Jeep Cherokee
                        WJ- Jeep Grand Cherokee
                        ...I don't know what the ZJ is...I think it's the liberty...but those may be the LJ...if such a two letter term exists. ^.^

Hope you found this helpful
                        ZJ is the older body Grand Cherokee
                        WJ is the newer body style GC
                        WK is the newest GC
                        KJ is the Liberty
                        LJ is the Unlimited Wrangler (Long Jeep)

All Jeeps tend to hold their value, regardless where you live. If your budget is only a few thousand, you may never find one. But keep your eyes open in the Pennysaver and local newspaper(weekly advertising circular) for a private party ad. Some folks dont know what they are selling. Erik bought a faily nice YJ for a 1K. They are out there if you keep your eyes pealed.

Good luck with the search.
                        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I found a $3,000 1993 red jeep yj, with 115,000 miles, in Denver. No upgrades or anything, never been in a accident, or had any rust or paint damage. Sound like a good deal? Denver is only a hour away from me.

Comment

I got my '91 YJ for $1500, with a beat up front fender, and ripped up seats, with 156K miles on it. For a '93 with 115, at $3000, I'd say that's a great price. If it's a 6cyl, they can get almost 1500 more for it. ^.^ but don't tell them that!
                            WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                            [_____]
                            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                            []--o---[]

Comment

You sound a lot like me, buying my first jeep. Although, I had already owned two other cars. I'd always been into Jeeps, and I knew I wanted one. It took me a little over a year, and a 4 hour drive to find my YJ, and I picked it up for about 2,400 with 119,000 miles on it. It was a 4 banger, but it suited me just fine.

I would recomend searching through the news papers, and looking around town. You're best bet in finding a cheap jeep is a YJ. CJ's tend to be in rougher shape, and harder to find anyway. And TJ's are out of your price range if you want something nice. I'd stay away from auto trader and ebay, because people who list on there don't wanna sell locally for a reason.

That YJ for 3,000 sounds like a good deal, but jeeps have their quirks, and I would definantly recomend taking a mechanic or at least a backyard mechanic with you to check it out.

If, and when you do buy a YJ expect it to be a little chilly in the winter, if it has a 4 cylinder it's not going to be a speed demoned by any means, but it will get fairly good gas milege. You will not be able to get any more than the stock 120 HP or so, unless you do some major mods. But you will be able to put a cheap lift and some 31's and have a good looking jeep.

One last thing, if you find a jeep, and there's something you don't like about it, there is definantly an after market part to change it. check out quadretech magazine for some ideas, it's free and you could build a brand new jeep with the stuff they've got.

Good luck! and welcome to the community!

But just f.y.i, jeeping is an addiction just like any other, you'll lose all your money, lose some friends, but make new ones with other jeep junkies, and you'll never be able to think about anything else but your next mod again!
                              have fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X