Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust pipe

after mangling my tailpipe in calico a few months ago, I'd like to hack it off just near the rear shock to prevent this from happening in the future.

does anyone know if it's legal in CA to chop off the tailpipe so that it does not protrude past the body tub? I'm too lazy to read laws all day but I'm assuming yes since in CA there is no yearly "vehicle inspection" only emissions inspections.

thanks.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

I don't think it's illegal, but if you have the exhaust coming out under the tub, at idle or slow crawl the fumes are likely to come up through the floor pan and you will be smelling fumes all day. At minimum I would say put on some turn outs (apposed to turn downs) to help direct the fumes away from the vehicle. Hey maybe a new idea for Dukes...tail pipe skid!!
    1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

It is illegal in Arizona (tail pipe must extend beyond the body), so I'd guess it is illegal in California too (where they take all that stuff much more seriously than out here). You could always call the emissions station where you plan to have your test done and ask them.....maybe even "forget" about that 6-pack that you left on his workbench.

Or, do what a friend of mine does down here...he has a generic 90* bend, and a 12" long piece of tailpipe that he picked up from the local Pep Boys (or wherever). Before he takes his scrambler down for its test, he clamps the stuff on (looks red-neck as hell), and as soon as he gets home and it cools off--the takes it off and tosses it onto a shelf until next year.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

As for as I know its legal here used to have the truck exhaust dumped before the axle with know problems.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
          does anyone know if it's legal in CA to chop off the tailpipe so that it does not protrude past the body tub?
          just reading this one again...HA!

i guess i should have posted a disclaimer that i don't really care if it's illegal, i'm going to do it anyway. i'd just like to know that i'm breaking the law. :devil:

thanks for the insight.
          03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

When I got my new muffler the shop put a 90 deg down right out of the muffler.
            Dennis
            04 TJ
            4.0/Auto
            RE 4.5 Long Arm
            Rock-It Man Rockers
            33x12.50 BFG A/T
            desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

I have a buddy with an XJ that cut his exhaust right before the rear tire and hes never gotin pulled over or anything and passes smog fine with it. So im going to assume that its legal.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

muffler.......whats a muffler???? hahaha......Alberta is destroying our world........sorry.
                :devil: Giffer

Comment

So is alabama! We've got so many rednecks running straight pipes and cheap glasspacks that the cops are like....screw it.
                  WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                  [_____]
                  (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                  []--o---[]

Comment

Working...
                  X