Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to wheelin, need some help.

Hello everyone, I just bought a 97 wrangler sport (4.0) automatic, 44000 miles, very good condition for $9500. Ive always wanted one, and finally got it. I've been riding quads for many years, and know some trails in my area, so me and my buddies hit the trails the day after i got it. Its a lot of fun I just have some questions.
    -I bought an automatic, I have driven a standard car for years, and wanted a standard wrangler, but couldnt find what I was looking for with a standard tranny (in my area they all had alot more miles than i wanted) so i said oh well and went with the auto trans(very impatient). Anyways, is it safe to be offroading like every weekend with an automatic transmission? I know the manual is made for it, but am I putting too much stress on the tranny 4 wheelin all the time in mud and on mountain quad trails? Is the wranlger sports auto tranny capable and made for the abuse from off roading? or do you think i will have a broken tranny soon?
    -Also, I've been going through some deep puddles, and have been very tempted to go through some streams, I see some wranglers in pics that look pretty much stock going through water thats up to their hood, with NO snorkel!?!? Its confusing me, wouldnt the water get in the air filter or something? How deep can I go with a stock wrangler sport?
    -I want to get a lift and tires, I cant afford both at the same time, what would you reccomend first getting, the lift or the tires? I dont want to go very big at all on tires, because I still do alot of highway driving, so I need the best gas mileage i can get, maybe just like some 30's or 31's. My current tires are the Goodyear Wrangler GS-A tires, and they dont have very good traction in mud at all, they just spin and spin. What would you reccomend for tires? I also want to keep the price down too, I spent my whole savings + on this jeep already, but I love it. Also, I want to lift it because i hear THUMP, BUMP, BANG! on the trails every once and a while, when I go over a fallen tree, or some unavoidable rocks.
    What should come first? the tires or lift?, and how high should I go, I was thinking just a cheap 2 inch suspension lift, will that be good enough or is it even worth it, 2inches of ground clearance doesnt seem like too much more, but maybe it will be enough.
    -Keep it in 4 high all of the time right?
    -Anyone know of any places to go wheelin in CT? Is there a website or something I can go to that tells me about places to go 4wheelin?
    Thanks alot guys, I appreciate all of your answers!

First off, welcome to the club! I'm running 32" procomps on my yj (square head lights.... the infamous "Wrongler"... and still get better milage than my chevy k1500 (@16mpg). If you plan to have hell off road, look into a moderately agressive tire, but if you want to do something quick and dirty, try a dick cepec AT or something of the like... looks like a std. tread with a little more void than normal that gives you some decent on-road manners. Taller tires alone will get your frame and other components higher off the ground but if you like your jeep this much, your first priority should be a snorkel! Go too deep and you may hydrolock and possibly kill your beloved TJ. Look into B&M trans coolers and a temp guage for your tranny if you want it to live more than a few decent trails. May I suggest (Highly, may I add) you use a high quality trans fluid like AmsOil and do a full service on the tranny with it. The AmsOil works well in towing and high slip situations and offer great heat reduction. I speak from experience with the product because we use it in our F350 crew cab w/ a 7.3L powerstroke auto and have both seen a measurable change in temp when pulling and the overall performance& shifting. As far as the technical aspect of size possibilities, I'll leave that to one of the many TJ owners on this site.

As far as Ct is concerned.... We're all alone here! Be careful where you wheel... some townsfolk in the far northeast and northwest have good aim if you know what I mean. Tresspassing on private land can be risky and severely dangerous to your health in some areas. State land and powerlines in the boonedocks are usually rather safe, but watch where abandoned rail beds take you... there may be a back yard after them trees ahead... or a family BBQ... Porter Road in Ellington CT is a fun little spot to cut your teeth on some trails apropriate for stockers and light modefied. I've heard that there is some great fun to be had in Ellington with a tobacco trail that takes you into Longmeadow Mass, but I have yet to follow my buddies up there. I ran into a party on porter road with a bunch of pretty decently built rigs (they hung out at the hobo shack) and got a good tip on a trail in Ware Mass called Coy Hill Road. Aparently its about as close to an Off Road Park as we get in new england. You can usually hook up with other rigs that know the area and there is something for every ability range.

If you live in the area of manchester/ immediate hartford, we could hook up sometime and I'll con a few guys to come out with us. My YJ is on jackstands right now, but should be good in a week or so.

Poultry411@hotmail.com

Use your 4low when hitting trees, rocks and whatever else you would want to crall over. Slow and steady my friend. save 4high for the mud and gravel.
    Last edited by poultry411; 12-17-06, 12:09 PM. Reason: Added note

Comment

Boy oh boy....giving you all the answers would take the fun out of learning them!
      Congrats on the acquisition of the Jeep. Let the fun and learning begin. Seems like there is no end to what you can do to build up the jeep. Just how much are you willing to spend and for what type of jeepn you wish to do. Lots of different threads here in MJR with a good amount of information right at your finger tips. Search them out, you will be amazed as I am.

Bob
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Don't do too deep of water crossings, as the breather for your transmission is in a vulnerable area. There's write-ups on how to extend it, but it's a pain. The manual tranny is easy because the breather is on top, but the automatic is somewhat internal... it's where the tranny meets the engine and requires removing the tranny (or engine) to extend it. I've seen a lot of threads on another jeep forum with people who've ruined their auto's because of too deep of water.

Here's links on how to extend your breather:
        http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/bbs/...b=5&o=&fpart=1
        http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=20
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          Don't do too deep of water crossings, as the breather for your transmission is in a vulnerable area. There's write-ups on how to extend it, but it's a pain. The manual tranny is easy because the breather is on top, but the automatic is somewhat internal... it's where the tranny meets the engine and requires removing the tranny (or engine) to extend it. I've seen a lot of threads on another jeep forum with people who've ruined their auto's because of too deep of water.
          Absolutely, good point. PS- in my previous message I made an oops. The supposidly cool tobaccco field tour into Longmeadow mass is in ENFIELD ct. off of I-91(near the old drive in or Guido's car hop??). It's supposed to be approximately 6 miles long, but I'm skeptical. I think the truck my friends bomb down it has remained mostly stock (and somehow in tact). I've also heard rumors over the years that some sort of state or private land is avalable to the public... intended for registered off road vehicles... but thats probably just that, a rumor.

Comment

If you plan on wheelin in rocks, a lot of guys prefer the automatic tranny. Like previous posts just take the necessary precautions.

I know when I bought my 99TJ, I thought 4x4's were supposed to be sticks-so I bought one. Now I hear from a lot of people that auto's are the only way to go. Don't ask which is better b/c each have their advantages.

Just wanted to let you know that you might of lucked out by getting the auto instead of the stick, depending on what / where you are wheelin.

Greg

Comment

Working...
            X