Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could really use some help...

so i sold my 1992 wrangler today, and just got a call from the guy who bought it saying the 4 wheel drive doesnt work. I have no idea whats going on with this thing, ive never had a problem with the 4 wheel drive. It's been sitting for sale for about a month and a half.

Any ideas on what it could be? Vacum tubes? Linkage? I don't know what to tell him because i really don't know whats going on.

Any advice/help would be greatly appriecated!

well whats happening? does it grind or seem like it clicks in to gear or does the selector lever just pull back freely and easily? Cause there should be some resistance... i had a problem where there was a bushing on one of the linkage arms of my selector level to the TC that was coming out, i just had to pop it in and the TC would go into 4wd just fine. He should get under it and see if the linkage to from the Selector to the TC is all good and secure and not popped out... hopefully you get it solved.
    -Allen
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I dont have the jeep, so im not sure what kind of noise its making, when he drove it last night, he put it in 4 wheel, and i didnt hear any sounds, but the 4x4 light in the cab didnt come on. he said he thought it was in, so maybe it was moving freely. ill definantly look into it though

Comment

maybe the lights just out?

If its not going in...maybe the linkage needs adjusting?
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

the light worked the last time i had it in 4 wheel, and the guy who bought it is certain it isnt engaging. im hoping its something as easy as linkage, but worst case senario, what do you guys think this could be?

Comment

Was your transfer case called "whytey"? Maybe you killed it...
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I'm whytey, the transfer case is called NP231

Comment

Originally posted by killwhytey07 View Post
                I'm whytey, the transfer case is called NP231
                Haha, only kidding... Do you have a body lift? That could mess with the linkage. Aside from that, maybe the chain broke? Was the NP231 ever apart? How many miles, and were you hard on it?

Comment

I have a 4 inch suspension lift, the t-case has never been apart, the jeep has 123,344 miles, and I was never any harder on it than mild off-roading... if the chain were to break, what kinds of things would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by killwhytey07 View Post
                    I have a 4 inch suspension lift, the t-case has never been apart, the jeep has 123,344 miles, and I was never any harder on it than mild off-roading... if the chain were to break, what kinds of things would happen?
                    I'm not exactly sure, but I think the front and rear output shafts would NOT turn in unison. The rear shaft would still turn. After re-reading your original post, I doubt that's the problem though because you said the light doesn't come on. It could just be the sensor or light. Is he sure it's not in 4wd? Tell him to go on dirt to try it, but put it in 4wd and try turning hard either direction, and front tires should hop some, and make it hard to turn... HTH

Comment

maybe vaccum lines???
                      therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Could it be simply operator error?

Is the jeep too far for you to take a run over there and help the dude out? Does the guy have experience with 4WD? Not knowing the circumstances, these are the obvious questions I would ask.

Does someone on the board live near the buyer and can lend a hand?

You would hate to get a bad rap for selling him a lemon, if it is merely operator error on the new owners part.

my 2 cents

Comment

No, it's not an operater error, I talked to him yesterday, and he was having a friend come look at it, and seemed pretty cool about everything. I talked to the teacher of our career center here in mount vernon, and he thinks its a vacum line, so I passed that info along to the buyer, and haven't heard anthing, which I'm taking as a good sign.

The worst part about all this was how much I hated to sell my baby, then he told me he was making it a project vehicle for him and his son, so I was happy it was going to a good home, and then this happened.

Oh well, I'm sure things will turn out fine, thanks for all your advice!

Comment

YJ's have a vacum actuator(sp) and they are known to go out. The sitting time may just have been it for yours. I would check the lines, maybe pull it out and clean it. Mine has been reliable for the 12 plus years I've owned my jeep(knock on a large piece of wood).
                            my :2:

Comment

tell him to buy a 4x4posilok to replace the vaccume lines and if that does not solve the problem.. then there is something wrong.. but i think it is vaccume line.. happened to me twice and my friend once.
                              therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Working...
                              X