Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front differential cover

How strong is the front differential cover on Dana 44? It seems vulnerable. I am looking at protecting it. The Warn cover goes over stock and protects the bottom of the diff; Superlift rock guard is vertical and protects the leading part. Or is it better to just get a new cover such as the poison spider or crane covers? Any opinions or experiences?

I have a PSC cast steel cover on my rear 44. I got tired of dragging my diff over rocks only to end up with the damn thing leaking every time. Due to the tight clearance between the diff cover and gas tank, I didn't have the option of adding a tube diff guard like you see on so many diffs. I had to go with a replacement cover.

On the front 44 I have a cheap "cage" (4 wheel parts) that bolts on over the OE cover. It is beat to hell, all the tubes have been crushed/deformed by the rocks, but the only damage the actual cover has taken is along the bottom edge where the diff gets pushed over the rocks. The cheap cage has done its job, and done it well. I was going to replace it with a cast cover like the rear...but decided that it has worked so well, there is no point.

So, IMO, definately get something on there, be it a expensive cast steel replacement cover, or a cheap tube diff cage....just cover it with something.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

the Factory Dana 44 covers are fairly thick and hold up better than most of the aftermarket ones. I do have a Jeep with the crane covers and they are nice also, but I would want to get the new ones with the CNC'd flange if I were to do it again. Much better sealing surface.
      I can break a steel ball in a rubber room.
      Shaffers Offroad - El Diablo III - Soon!

Comment

the front diff covers are usually made thicker then the rear.. my front one is holding up pretty good.. one good dent.. i am gettin some rockchrusher ones this winter
        therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

I run the poison spider diff plate, 1/4 inch steel over the pinion gear area
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
          X