Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to look for in an xj

i am going to start looking for an xj for a dd for now and later a wheeler.. i dont know much about xjs at all so what should i look for. i know i want the 4.0 and possilby the 44 rearend. what else should i look for or look out for?
    therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Make sure you get a 92 or newer, that has the HO motor in it and it has the "open" cooling system (much better than the previous "closed system" and a little more HP than the Renix motor , (90 and below) and there are a BUNCH mre performance parts for it as well. I dont think youll find one with the 44 in the rear after 92 but that is the comon swap besides a ford 9. Check out www.NAXJA.org (North American XJ Association) youll learn a lot by searching around there and reading all the postings. Basically the only other difference is the body style and thats your opinon to which looks better. There was a disscusion about the best year XJ a while back on NAXJA and i think they decided that it was a 97 but im not for sure. anything else let me know. I think thats about the only REAL differences right there.
    -Allen
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

cool thanks for the imput
      therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Oh and Make sure you look at the NAXJA Classifides theres ALWAYS XJs for sale from stock to total rock krawler. If i would have know about that when i got mine, i would have saved some $$$$ for sure. Anyother questions let me know.
        -Allen
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Here are some pointers to keep in mind when you build your XJ as none come in the "ultimate" form stock. Look for the following equipment for a killer XJ: A non-vac disco Hi-Pinion front D30 axle swapped in from an all wheel drive equipped XJ with big U joints, D44 swapped in from 87-88 tow package XJ, NP/NV-231J Part time equipped XJ T-Case 95+, 91+ open cooling system found on HO equipped engines, HO 4.0 I6 in 91+, 96+ HO 6 cyl OBD II is even better, GM style tilt column in 91-94 non air-bag equipped XJ with chrysler style key locks, 97+ body & dash desired by most, 2 door if you really wanna beat it off-road or cut for big tire fitment, pre 98 can be diagnosed without a scan tool for trouble codes, no 1D10T lamp cluster, you want gages & tach, AX15 5 spd for offroad crawling or the NV-3550 5 speed in 2000+ XJ's is even better, AW4 4 speed auto is good in most all but the earliest models. Most likely you will need to build your XJ to incorporate the desired equipment for off-road & performance. These are stock jeep parts listed above, not aftermarket or non-Jeep axle swaps. Remember, "Real Jeeps are ALWAYS Built"

Good luck,
          Rick OllllllO
          " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
          Rick W6RE

Comment

Working...
          X