Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alt squeel... WONT STOP!!!

Ok... My alt squeels like a bitch. Its annoying. I know its my alt because I can watch my voltage drop when it squeels. I forget what voltage is where but it runs in the middle of the guage when normal, but when it squeels it drops to 1/4 ways and squeels all teh way up until right before normal voltage. I replaced the belt, but after about a month it started again. Finally it got so bad that I lost all charge and volts so I had to replace the alt(atleast I thought that was the problem), and now its doing it again! And I just replaced it! WHY IS IT SQUEELING!?!? I have tried belt dresing, works for about a day... then its back. It used to only do it at startup, but then it would quit, now its doing it all the time. Anytime the rpm's drop low it will squeel. When I start it in the morn if I shut everything off that draws power it sometimes quits, but not all the time. MAKE IT STOP!!!!
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

my first guess is that you need a new alternator. i've never heard one squeal like that which is definitely not good but one other symptom making me think this is the problem is that your voltage gauge is flying all over the place.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

hmm.. tighten the belt???
      check and make sure all of your components are square with the belt. Try a new belt.. sometimes the belts look OK, but they get hard.
      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
        my first guess is that you need a new alternator. i've never heard one squeal like that which is definitely not good but one other symptom making me think this is the problem is that your voltage gauge is flying all over the place.
        this IS a new alt, well not brand new but new to the vehicle. I just replaced it. I made it maybe 20miles and it started again...
        Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

Check the idler pulley. We couldn'd find the squeal till it failed at Rubicon. Thought it was the power steering. When it seizes or squeals it puts a big load on the alt.

Comment

Originally posted by brian4.2
            Check the idler pulley. We couldn'd find the squeal till it failed at Rubicon. Thought it was the power steering. When it seizes or squeals it puts a big load on the alt.

Hmmm yeah thought of that. But when I have the hood open it sounds like its from the alt. But I will check it though.

One thing I forgot to add... my old alt the pulley looked burnt if that means anything...
            Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

Pully looking burnt is _usually_ a sign that the alternator is stopping (or slowing down a LOT). Pull the belt and check the bearing.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Is it really the altenator? Check all your belts; including the power steering and all pulley's. Before you start replacing bits and pieces, identify the problem. Have a Kragen, Pep Boys, or a shop test the altenator. I had a similar dealio and it turned out to be my power steering. Good luck, Sir.

Mark
                "run forest, run!"

Comment

Sounds like mine, I tried the belt dressing and that worked for about a day. New belt didnt help. A friend of mine torked that SOB so tight that it scared me, but it stopped. Its been about 6 months now and not a squeel or voltage drop.

Mine is V belt type on a 4.2, if you have the serpentine belt check the belt tensioner, they do wear out.
                  I have a Jeep

Comment

Ok so I checked everyting out again... my belt doesnt even hardly touch the tensioner pulley. I can spin it by hand it just barely touches the belt. I sprayed some JB80 on it and ran it for a lil bit and it didnt start squeeling yet so... Also I have black dust on the top side of my alt. I tried tightening the belt but it wont tighten anymore but it has a little slack in it, not much though. gona try and get a new tensioner pulley today if I can find one.
                    Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

get a long screwdriver and place it on the alt while running. Carefully place your ear on the handle and if you hear any grinding the bearings are going. This is what I did thought that my idler was going replaced belt and idler. Noise came back and a/c clutch grenaded. Luck in my driveway. :2:

Comment

just because you just replaced it does not mean that its not bad. odds are its a refurbished unit from some BS parts house. take it back. it should be warranted.
                        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Alt

" Ok so I checked everyting out again... my belt doesnt even hardly touch the tensioner pulley. I can spin it by hand it just barely touches the belt."
                          If I'm reading your statement right the belt is not tight enough. You shouldn't be able to spin the pulley by hand.

Comment

Yeah I thought it was wiered the belt barely touched the pulley... but the belt is tight, and its a straight shot from the alt to the p/s so I dont understand why its not tight agains the tensioner pulley? I erplaced teh tensioner last night, but it still squeels. not nearly as much though. I have a new belt I'm going to put on today.

Another thing I noticed, if my heater is on about every 10sec my voltage drops and slowly climbs back up, but if the heater is off it doesnt do this. And like I said before the only time it squeels is when the voltage is low, but once I can get the voltage to rise up to normal it doesnt squeel anymore.

My alt was under warranty... but not anymore. When I replaced it I needed a starter as well and wasnt able to get one for a while, so it sat for about 1.5mo's. I think it only had a 30day warranty but i will check IF I can find teh receipt. Thats a big IF since I moved right after I got it so who knows where its at.
                            Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

If your belt isn't touching the tensioner then you have it routed wrong or the tensioner is installed wrong. I would bet the belt is not installed correct, make sure it is routed exactly like the diagram on the fan shroud. By the way if the tensioner doesn't (barely) touch the belt how are you adjusting the belt? The tensioner should deflect the belt quite a bit, and that black dust on the alternator is probably belt rubber. When your heater fan kicks on a load is placed on the alt and it bogs down causing the belt to slip and squeal. Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X