Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Frame!!!Help!!

Long story short.........hit freeway overpass cement thingy. Had jeep almost finished!! Anyway, I broke my custom bumper, steering box,front right fender and pulled the front rim away from three studs. The bad news??? I was told the frame is way too bent and my $10,ooo jeep is totaled.Please tell me there is some off road shop that is used to this kind of repair, or at least some advice............

Holy Crap Dude!! How fast did you hit it? Are you okay?

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Yeah, thanks! A little scar and a black eye. I was only going about 25!!

Comment

If the frame is hosed, I'd jive it up. Just take anything thats good off it, get the insurance money and haul ass. How much will insurance give you?
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

dont know. Cant some 4x4 shop straighten it? I put alot of cash into it.......... now everything but the frame is good, including a brand new motor
          Last edited by Jr. Bonner; 09-16-06, 03:12 PM.

Comment

a good body shop with a frame machine might do it, if its not too bad. You night be tetter off finding a new (used) frame.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. Bonner
              dont know. Cant some 4x4 shop straighten it? I put alot of cash into it.......... now everything but the frame is good, including a brand new motor
              Glad to hear that you are safe and sound. I hope it wasn't a mechanical failure that got you into trouble with the overpass.

I concur with Chris that throwing more money into a salvage titled vehicle will not be worth it. Resale will stink and the frame will probably never be right.

Consider buying a rolling chassis or frame with clean VIN and rebuild.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...QQcmdZViewItem
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

(Assuming the vehicle isn't in such bad shape that it will cost a fortune to repair....)

If the insurance company wants to total it....let 'em. Then buy it back from them, fix it to whatever degree you feel appropriate, and have a vehicle that is "worthless", so when you tear it up on the trail...it doesn't really matter because it is "worthless".

Take the remainder of the $$$ from the insurance company and but a commuter car.

As JMB noted, the resale will suck...but that is OK. Basically you are getting the "resale money" now, but keeping the vehicle.
                olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

The title isnt salvaged. I drove it home and parked it. I have alot of money in it and figured the worst case scenario would be get a good used frame and pay my mech to switch everything over. Sound logical or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. Bonner
                    The title isnt salvaged. I drove it home and parked it. I have alot of money in it and figured the worst case scenario would be get a good used frame and pay my mech to switch everything over. Sound logical or no?
                    Definately look into it. The more info and options you consider, the better off you are when it comes time to make a informed decision about how to proceed with it.
                    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                    X