Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion angle change and diff fluid level

Got the lift and rotated the pinion up in line with the new CV driveshaft. Now the diff cover fill/inspection plug is below the fliuid level, and it got me thinking.

#1 How do you maintain the gear oil level now? Unless you jack up the axle high enough to compensate for the rotated housing, I estimate there would only be about 75% of the oil intended to be in there at the new plug level.

#2 The plug level was intended for a lesser pinion angle, and the area toward the pinion gets raised out of the oil as a result of the change. The oblong reservoir shape now becomes more rounded, and the oil level rises in the housing. Does this become another concern at the axle seals? Is the pinion bearing going to be staved for oil?

I've not made measurements -- I can just see the changes and imagine the effects inside. Oh, and now my inspection plug weeps oil, which brought the whole matter to my attention.

Rear Pumpkin

I have a spring over on my YJ. I had the spring perches re welded so the pinion is pointing 21.5 degrees up. To make sure I have enough oil I jack up the rear as high as my jack will go before removing plug and filling. I have a Dana 44 and it has been on for 7 years with no problems.

Comment

I just fill mine to the hole and havent had any problems.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i fill it up as much as i can with the new plug level then drive out to my back yard and back up a hill till it is level(or what it used to be) pull the plug and fill it some more. works good for me.
        therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Some of the after market cover address that. I bought a Crane cover and I don't remember giving up an arm or leg for it. But as Dukes said just fill it and you'll be fine.

B&T TJ

Comment

Thanks all.

I've been accused of over-thinking stuff before.

Comment

As long as the front pinion bearing doesn't dry out, your fine. I used to run mine like Dukes runs his, until I got tired of re-sealing the damn cover every time I drug it over a rock, so I bought a aftermarket cover made from cast steel....the plug on it is higher than OE....
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
              X