Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift and tires question

im looking for about a three or four inch lift and some nice tires and dont wanna shell out a whole ton of money. anybody have any suggestions as to where i can find a good deal on these things and other fourwheel stuff?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

wellll...since no ones gonna pipe up...

how big of tires do you want to put on? thats gonna help you determine what size lift you want.

Rule of thumb is one inch lift for every inch over 30". For example: 2" of lift will fit 32's, 3" of lift 33's etc...

I have 33's on 3 1/2" of combined lift. I didnt want to open a huge can of worms by going over 3" of suspension, and have to get a slip yoke eliminator. So, I went 2 1/2" suspension, and 1" body lift. I was lucky in that I had no driveline vibrations, and was able to forego the tcase drop Im really happy with my current set-up, and for the most part, have no problem keeping up with the guys... I have been recently thinking about swapping out my 2 1/2" lift, and going 4"...We'll see...

As far as tires go, If you ask anyone here, they all know that as far as Im concerned there is only one choice...(Its the tires baby!)

GoodYear MT/r's!

They arent cheap by no means. But totally worth every penny you spend on them. They have totally changed my wheeling experience. I got all 5 of them mounted, lifetime balanced and rotated with the non prorated warranty for about $1000.

and there you go!

Let me know if you have any questions...
    Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

dont forget... when you go over 32" tires, you will likely want to regear. that is about another 1000 bucks
      it can get expensive fast.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

well since i have an XJ and its a unibody i cant put a body lift on. other than that i was thinking about something along the lines of 3" with 31s or 32s. I was looking at a package deal thats about 1060 bucks and it has a three inch lift pro comp 31 x 10.50 M/T's and some steel rockcrawler 15x8 wheels. What do you think of the quality and price? (the lift has coil springs, front trac relocation bracket, lower control arms, rear add a leafs, and 4 ES3000 shocks.)

oh yea and about regearing, im pretty sure right now the gearing is 4.10, could i get by with that?
        B R E T T

Comment

anybody? do you think thats a good deal?
          B R E T T

Comment

a lot of people complain about the pro comp ride stiffness. but it seems ok to me for now on my jeep which is all leafs. it flexes pretty good, but after seeing the re springs flex, i realize that it isnt quite "good enough". is that a sticker price for that kit? or a negociated price? where is your price from?
            perhaps, you could get this kit, and down the road... get some slightly used re, or rancho springs to replace the front coils.
            one thing i do like about the pro comp, is that they do stand behind their warranty. i tested that.... look at my avatar they replaced the spring, and damn near everything around it
            ERIK

Comment

It is a sticker price i guess. its from an online dealer www.4wheelparts.com. Your right i could just replace anything i feel i need to a little bit down the road. So what im getting is that your saying pro comp isnt horribly bad but i may want to replace some stuff for a little smoother of a ride?
              B R E T T

Comment

yes.. that is my opinion. i have pro comp lifts on both of my jeeps, and like them. i thought they were great until i saw the extra flex from the re lift a couple of weeks ago.. many say they are very stiff, but if you wheel your jeep it will loosen up pretty quick. the first few times you take it out, just flex the hell out of it.
                *important* i am referring only to yj, leaf spring lifts... i have NO experience with the xj lifts, or any coul springs...
                but... i'd imagine that they are about the same.
                wait for some other input from people with direct experience before you make your decision.
                you should call 4 wheel parts, and negociate the price on the lift. i always do and get them to shave the prices a bit. if you have one in your area.. walk in and negociate
                ERIK

Comment

JeepJunkie, my only suggestion is: get a price quote for a package that has replacement spring packs for the rear. "Generally" add-a-leafs tend to ride really stiff, because that one added leaf is attempting to re-arch all of the other leaves in the spring pack. Usually, a price quote with replacement spring packs isn't too much higher than with the add-a-leaf. Otherwise, if that is the height and type of tire you want, sounds like a good deal. Like someone else mentioned, you'll be looking at regearing real soon. I know that I ran 4.10s with my 31s on my 89 XJ.

Good Luck!

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                    JeepJunkie, my only suggestion is: get a price quote for a package that has replacement spring packs for the rear. "Generally" add-a-leafs tend to ride really stiff, because that one added leaf is attempting to re-arch all of the other leaves in the spring pack. Usually, a price quote with replacement spring packs isn't too much higher than with the add-a-leaf. Otherwise, if that is the height and type of tire you want, sounds like a good deal. Like someone else mentioned, you'll be looking at regearing real soon. I know that I ran 4.10s with my 31s on my 89 XJ.

Good Luck!

Erik
                    good point erik... you can get the leaf packs fr about $50.00 bucks each at 4 wheel parts.. (for a yj) i cant imagine it would be much more or less for an xj.
                    ERIK

Comment

Thanks for all your help, ill look into the things you suggested

Originally posted by Trailbst
                      ...I know that I ran 4.10s with my 31s on my 89 XJ...
                      How did the 31s ride with 4.10 gearing?
                      B R E T T

Comment

Working...
                      X