Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic clutch... junkyard style.

Next project on the CJ is going to be install of hydraulic clutch. Currently the CJ has rod clutch linkage and whenever I get the ole girl twisted, it falls out. Ask NAGAL, it's a PITA! After discussing this with the old man (Dad) he advised me to find a toyota pick-up or 4runner in the junkyard and pull the whole assembly off it and, "just fabricate the brackets; it'll work great!"

Now, the ole man's a few Jacks short of a full deck sometimes, and/or he doesn't explain his ideas to me in detail very well. Perhaps I'm a lil bit...

Opinions welcome, suggestions certainly appreciated.

Coming soon... questions on junkyard Power Steering and Power Brakes!!! YaY!
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

II used 90 YJ peddles, booster and master, and clutch master.
    I have a 92 YJ tub on mine so the clutch hole was there, (but one bolt hole is off a bit).

On the bottom end I don't know, I have an AX15 tranny.

As for the power steering, a CJ or AMC 258 donor will have the brackets pump and all. I used an XJ gear box and a flaming river shaft to connect it to the column.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
      II used 90 YJ peddles, booster and master, and clutch master.
      I have a 92 YJ tub on mine so the clutch hole was there, (but one bolt hole is off a bit).

On the bottom end I don't know, I have an AX15 tranny.

As for the power steering, a CJ or AMC 258 donor will have the brackets pump and all. I used an XJ gear box and a flaming river shaft to connect it to the column.
      Thanks. So to be sure I'm following you:

Hydraulic clutch, you used a 90YJ pedal (I may have to make a bracket for that), a master cyl from the 90YJ and booster from YJ also. I'll probably have to drill any holes as I dont have anything in the CJ. Also, will probably have to use XJ stuff because there are no YJ's at the junkyard in 29. Slave cyl on the tranny/clutch fork, will probably have to be researched for how much extension I need. Our NAPA here in town is good at looking stuff up like this for me. I think they all draw straws when I walk in.

Power Steering, I'm lucky enough to have gotten an "extra" power steering pump with the "extra" engine I picked up from Erik (Nailer371). The steering box is mostly what I was interested in, and I suppose an XJ steering box would work, but I'll have some serious mods to do up front huh?

What I really need to do, is get everything 80% done, and take it to Dukes69 and bring lots of beer.

Comment

If your linkage is popping out take a real good look at your engine and trans mounts.
        Also is there a spring by the bell housing to keep the short link in place?

If you change to the YJ or XJ box it would be a good time to upgrade the steering box mount. If I recall correctly the CJ manual steering has the same spline count as the XJ/YJ box.
        1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Well, what I think is happening with the CJ clutch linkage is the frame is twisting and the linkage just falls out. My frame is not yet boxed and it does twist when I'm wheeling. Driving down the road is no problem at all. The short link is held in by friction only. I should maybe look into getting a spring for it.

Good FYI on the spline counts for the steering box, that means I should be able to use my current shaft in it? Have to Google that question. Looks like I'll be able to do this power steering thing after all.

Comment

I was on a run in Februaryand my linkage fell out of my '83 CJ5...I stuck it back in and it was fine until the end of May and we were playing in a mud hole on top of a mountain and it fell out 4 times in less than 200 feet!!!I was under it putting it back in place and low and behold the torque stud was laid right over sideways!!I got to looking and the tranny mount was broken.I ordered new polyeurathane transmission and engine mounts.When I took it apart I had not only a broken transmission mount but a broken drivers side engine mount!!All is fine since I replaced these mounts!Drive a Jeep with a hydraulic clutch to make sure you like it first.I have a Dodge W350 I bought brand new in '88 that I still don't get a "Feel" for the clutch with the hydraulic unit.My Ford Rangers hydraulic clutch is no problem so I think it is within the components used.
            "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

http://www.partsmikeparts.com/jeep_master_slave_kit.htm
              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Hmmm, need to call him and ask if it's a push or pull type slave cylinder. I seem to recall talking to Mike about this very thing a few months ago.

Currently doing the Power Steering install, I'll post up pictures when I get it done.

Comment

Working...
                X