Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex-a-lite electric fan

I bought a Flex-a-lite black majic extreme electric fan.

I fits my YJ - but only just!! There is barely 1/4" between the fan and water pump. I am afraid that one SNAFU on my part and the fan gets mangled.

Anyone else had this experience? How did you solve it?

4.0 and 4.56 :yay:
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Originally posted by aston
    I bought a Flex-a-lite black majic extreme electric fan.

I fits my YJ - but only just!! There is barely 1/4" between the fan and water pump. I am afraid that one SNAFU on my part and the fan gets mangled.

Anyone else had this experience? How did you solve it?

4.0 and 4.56 :yay:
    throw it in the trash, and go back to the stock one.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Flex-a-Lite #150 Black Magic fan.

Here is an excerpt from my post after installation.

PAST POST:
      After all of the information provided by my fellow Jeepers I installed the Flex-a-Lite #150 Black Magic fan. (1989 YJ 4.2) The extra airflow and heavier duty motor looked like the ticket. I also called Flex-a-Lite and picked up the nice aluminum mounting brackets that usually come with the #475 Wrangler 2 which made the install secure and sanitary. The only problem with the #150 is the extra ½ inch depth over the #475 Wrangler 2 that was caused by the larger fan motor. A little customizing was needed where the radiator mounts to the body, which gained ¾ inch forward movement of the radiator, giving me the clearance I need. I installed a 160-degree motor thermostat in addition to the adjustable fan thermostat; rock crawl cooling no longer is a problem. The nice part is one simple turn of the adjustment knob and I can select the temperature I want. This weekend the desert rock crawl testing with air temperature up to 100 degrees went off with out a hitch and I’m happy. There was also a noticeable increase in throttle response and hill climbing power on road.

UPDATE:
      Four or so months later and now it the start of the summer heat waves.
      The Flex-a-Lite #150 has been installed for several months of street and off road driving. The outside air temperatures have climbed and it's summer testing time. So far the installation of the electric fan has been worth the effort. Power increase has been tested well (I live on a very long/steep hill that, because of gearing, creates the need to run in second gear/max speed (Automatic trans) while climbing to the top. The removal of the clutch fan and installation of the electric fan added an additional 9mph on that climb) During off road, freeway traffic and highway motoring, temperatures run at a cool 165 degrees without fluctuation. (160 is where I have the automatic fan start) I have reset the unit to run with the key switch because the noise at 2am (Coming home late) of the fan running after shut off is annoying. The addition of a under dash on/ off switch for river crossings works, but has not been needed. (The fan unit is designed for water abuse although my concern was the wire terminal block on the fan shroud shorting out)

UPDATE: Three years of on and off road wheeling. The electric fan set up has worked perfect. I would do it again.

All in all, this upgrade for me rates an A+.

Comment

set it up as a pusher in front of the radiator. If it fails atleast you'll have the stock on that still works. If you dont have a back up, well then you're !!!!ed.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
        X