Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Milage Question

Im about to get rid of my 1999 5.9 durango slt because it eats gas....im talking 10 mpg Crying or Very sad

Ive been looking at getting a 2002-2004 Limited or Overland for awhile now and my question is what kindof mpg are you guys looking at?
    I know that the 4.0 is really durable but as I look at the 4.7 it seems like nothing really goes wrong with them either. On edmunds.com they show the 4.0 to only get 1 mpg better than the 4.7.

Also is there anything to look for besides the cooling door flapper thing?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

depends on the mods you have done to the jeep....I get around 12-14 around town last I checked but I am lifted on 35's and we all know how big tires rape the milage

Comment

yeah and the 4.7 might get one less mile on he milage but thats driving it nicely... once you cramp down on that throttle its gonna have less MPG than the 4.0 and i drove a 99 slt and I SUCKED gas i hated it, id put 65 bucks of gas in it and it b gone in like 225 miles. worst milage ever...
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking
        yeah and the 4.7 might get one less mile on he milage but thats driving it nicely... once you cramp down on that throttle its gonna have less MPG than the 4.0 and i drove a 99 slt and I SUCKED gas i hated it, id put 65 bucks of gas in it and it b gone in like 225 miles. worst milage ever...
        Yeah thats what it is with me. It SUCKS!!!! I baby it around too, it takes me like 3 miles to get up to 60 mph lol. I dont really have a heavy foot, I usually baby the vechile...plus its only 5 miles to work for me right now. When we go on trips i always set the cruise control at the speed limit or 5 over. No matter what i do with the durango it just eats gas alive.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD
          depends on the mods you have done to the jeep....I get around 12-14 around town last I checked but I am lifted on 35's and we all know how big tires rape the milage
          If I got a grand cherokee I would probably only put a K&N fipk or some kind of air intake system on it. Then I might get a 2 1/2 inch lift and alittle beefer tires. I drive on road probably 99% of the time, so I dont need anything to big.

Comment

The "2 1/2 inch lift and a little beefer tires" will negate more than the filter change will gain (if it gains anything)

You're pushing a heavy brick through air, 4WD vehicles always have been on the "suck" side for mileage, probably will be in the foreseable future. And almost everything you do to make it more trailworthy will make it _worse_

If you're only getting 10mpg out of a Durango, you need to put your right foot on a diet I get better than that with my 96 Bronco, _several generations_ earlier fuel injection, 195,000 miles on the odo and admittedly a lead foot.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
              If you're only getting 10mpg out of a Durango, you need to put your right foot on a diet I get better than that with my 96 Bronco, _several generations_ earlier fuel injection, 195,000 miles on the odo and admittedly a lead foot.
              I used to baby my durango too and if youve seen my foot is definently starving... haha the magnum in that thing is just like a freakin gasaholic.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

If I can get 11.2 mpg in the Bronco _towing_ my 18' ski boat back from Lake Nacimiento, methinks 10mpg is "improvable" on in a Durango
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Maybe we both had fuel leaks and ddnt know it... haha

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Could be, could be!

No idea what mpg the YJ gets these days - although I know it's a lot worse with the 37x13.50's than it was with the 35x12.50's
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

^ haha and i cry about the milage on my Xj with its 32s

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Could be, could be!

No idea what mpg the YJ gets these days - although I know it's a lot worse with the 37x13.50's than it was with the 35x12.50's
                        I run 37X13.50's I get about 9-10 miles.

Comment

Which one's Chuck?

I have the Toyo's - couldn't be happier.
                          Jeff
                          OHV76V
                          KG6TY

Comment

i run 35s on my 4.2 with a tbi and get 17mpg.. my friend has 37s on his 4.0 and he gets like 21. i admit though.. i drive like an old man and i am 18 i get crap for that... but i get good gas milage...
                            therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Which one's Chuck?

I have the Toyo's - couldn't be happier.
                              I have the Super Swamper Irok's.

Comment

Working...
                              X