Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 head with factory F.I. on a 4.2

Hello people I'm sorry if this is a worn out question but I have a 87 CJ7 and a 92 cherokee with a crap body(but a strong motor) so what I'd like to do is put the 4.0 head and F.I. on the 4.2 but my question is whats the scoop on using the stock F.I. components?Do I drill a hole in the bell housing and make a bracket for the crank sensor?Crankshaft sensor relocation?What flywheel?Etc....Also another question is the possibilities of just replacing the whole 4.0 as a unit does anybody know the pitfalls of this swap,any info would be appreciated, I'm prepared for any difficulties encountered so thats not a problem but if you have been down this road before I thank you for your help

A 4.0 head with MPI on a 4.2 is a very slick setup. Google the topic and you will find ton's of info.

I used the Hesco MPI kit. Expensive, but come with a CARB sticker that makes CA smog checks go easier.

The easiest (AND $$) sollution for a cps would be the Hesco CPS relocation kit to the hamonic balancer. What tranny does the Cherokee have? If you want that tranny, use the Cherokee flywheel and CPS and your set.

Other minor issues are blocking off the mech fuel pump and plumbing an electric one.

HTH
    MP
    Last edited by Matt Pascoe; 08-20-06, 08:42 AM.

Comment

If you are not going to use the kit, or if you are thinking of swapping in a 4.0L, the main thing to consider is the engine wiring. It is a lot of work to mate all of the new 4.0L wires to the existing harness. I opted for the conversion wiring harness, although I still don't have my engine in the Jeep yet. I did this for not only the simplicity of plug and play to the firewall, but also because my original harness is pretty much toast after 20 years of morons splicing and dicing the thing. There are wires in there that probably should not carry current and as a result I carry a spool of wire around with me for the day that something stops working.
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
      X