Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start!!!

this is my first jeep, and it is totally stock, BUT, I got the fever and I wanna change that..
    Question is, where should I start?
    Of course I have already upgraded the stock tires and wheels, but which direction should I head next?
    I have considered one of the new yj long susp., or should I try to beef up the axles first?
    What about lockers?
    I can only do upgrades every so often due to finances of course, so, for a "daily driver" but one that I want to take off road with the family, what should I do next to give me the best performance to start with?
    My Jeep is a 4cyl. and I have no intention of changing that any time soon.

First, welcome to the site.

Second, as to the question of where to start....IMO, the best place to start is in the dirt. Get your jeep out on the trail and see how it does (most people are surprized at how well a stock jeep will do). Take the family out and have some fun, learn what your jeep can do.

Then consider what it will take to get your jeep where you want it to go. Once you have this in mind, then start the modifications. Unless of course, you already know what you want it to do.....

One of the first things that people will tell you is to lose the D35 rear axle. If you are going to be doing any sort of difficult trail, I would agree. If you are more into exploring the semi-maintained fire roads and forest service roads...honestly, I wouldn't replace it. Lockers are essential for difficult trails, but not so much for the easier stuff. If you find yourself needing them, then install them...if you don't find the need, save the $$$. Same goes for lift....if you find yourself gravitating towards trails that require more clearance....then go for it.

One thing that (IMO) every jeep needs is a good set of rocker guards. Jeeperman has a nice set (I think it is jeeperman....whoever is producing the former Rockit man design...).

Other than the rockers...I'd drive it until you "need" something else.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Where to start

Since you already stated that you've upgraded the tires, if you went more then one size you will need to regear. Since you have a 4 CYL you will feel the difference.

Comment

Goodtimes summarized it pretty good.

IMHO, make sure all your recovery points are good, front and rear. Buy a good 20,000 lb tow strap (no hooks), chances are if you get stuck someone will help you get unstuck if you can do your part..

Than buy gas. When you've put a few dozen tanks through in 4wd, then start thinking of what got you stuck, or areas that you felt needed improvement.
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

WINCH.... and body armor.....Then just go have fun replace as needed
          Head nut at Outdoorlogic
          Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
          www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Lockers

Originally posted by goodtimes
            Lockers are essential for difficult trails, but not so much for the easier stuff. If you find yourself needing them, then install them...if you don't find the need, save the $$$. .
            LOCKERS? LOCKERS? I don't need no stinking lockers!!!!!

Ok thats my new motto......until I need them. Until then I'll have goodtimes pull me out. Actually 'goodtimes' said it really well. Good advise.
            "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
            (Charles Wells)

Comment

Lol!!! Thanks folks for all the advice...
              Yeah, I wanna get it out and get it dirty...hopefully soon.
              As far as body armor goes, I have made my own rocker panels out of 12 guage steel from work, I was able to use the press break at work to add a few bends along the bottom edge for added strength. Today, I made two hood mounts for a jack, and I fashioned two light mounts for the side of the windshield...I love working in a steel shop...lol, till I get caught making all tyhese things instead of working that is...
              Anyways, again, thanks for all the ideas...appreciate it

Comment

Thats sweet it must be nice. Wanna fab up some side aromor for my XJ? haha Ill pay shipping!
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Yeah for real! how bout a passenger side fender for my YJ? It's all crunchy and bad looking.
                  WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                  [_____]
                  (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                  []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by YJwonderboy
                    Yeah for real! how bout a passenger side fender for my YJ? It's all crunchy and bad looking.
                    why not just go tube fenders....no more chrunch and no more.haha. plus they look sweet.
                    therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Best money spent is some armor and a towstrap. As they said so well above, learn to wheel it as it is. You'll be a much better driver for it.

Dependable freinds who can spot, rocker guards, a tow strap, 31's, and a solid gas tank skid plate, in that order, carried us along for almost 6 years years of wheeling black diamond trails. We only recently got the lift.

12 ga rocker panel guards sounds kinda thin to me. I'd consider 3/16" at a minimum.

Comment

Working...
                      X