Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a hoist?

To remove my hardtop from my 98 wrangler with full doors do I need to buy a hoist?

Is there a link anybody knows of that shows how to remove a hard top. I don't have my jeep yet just waiting for it to be shipped (damn auto shipping companies).

You need to remove the 6 torx bolts that hold it to the tub. Then you and someone else that is fairly strong can pick it up. I have used ratchet strap and my garage door rails to lift the top up, and then remove the jeep. Then just lower each corner down till the top is sitting on the floor.
    I built a roll around cart for one of my tops also, to help decrease the space needed to store the top.

I was able to stand the top up, and then use a long strap to help hold the top on the cart. It is stable, and rolls into a corner in my garage.

Navy-Jeepster
    Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
    Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

As a young knuckle head I would take it off myself. No tools or anything other than those needed to unbolt it. I'd some how get it lowered to the floor than just put it on my back and walk it to where ever while crouching under it. Somehow I never broke the top or my back. No hoist is needed but I would recommend at least one other person to assist you in removing it.

Comment

I remove mine myself. Just built that shelf in the garage about the same height as the jeep. I back up to it, get into the jeep, pickup the top from the middle, and slide it over and onto the shelf. The top is heavy but not too bad. It's just a really weird shape and hard to grab a hold of. It was the only way I could think of to do it myself and with a low garage ceiling like that.
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
        X