Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painless Wiring

I just bought and am attempting to install a Painless wiring system on my 83 cj7 jeep; however, I've found that it's not so painless. I have a motorcraft top to what I believe is my coil and it connects to the center plug on the distributor cap on a four cyl engine. I need to know which side is positive and which is negative on the motorcraft piece. I know I am attempting to tackle something above my experience and skill level, due to never being under the hood on a vehicle before, so I apploigize for my ignorance. Thanks-rob

Normally, if it matters it is marked.

It is conceivable that the coil doesn't mind which side is +ve.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

any chance you could get some close-up pics of the coil? Do you know the brand & model? A lot of the guys on here can find things on the internet (eg: installation instructions for bizzare parts) that I certainly cannot.
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I'm a little rusty on the internals of ignition coils but to the best of my recollection, I am fairly certain there is a - and + side. I believe this is true because the primary and secondary coils inside are tied together at one end which would be the negative (-) side. That makes sense to me as there are only three leads on every ignition coil... one being the high voltage output leading to the distributor.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
        X