Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery solved... it's not good

I asked why my jeep was heating up a couple days ago. Got my answer today and I'm pretty bummed. Cracked head. Ouch. I had a feeling, but I was trying to keep spirits up. Everything makes sense now, things happen I guess .

So, the only thing to do is figure out what I'm going to do. It's too nice to scrap, I'm not going to get squat if I were to part out. The motor is shot, not worth it to try and rebuild, so the only thing I can think of is motor swap.

I am now officially in the market for a used motor. I'll take what I can get cheap. I would like to put another 4 cylinder in it and sell it this fall, but if I were to find a 4.0 in nice shape, or maybe even something bigger, I could see keeping it.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for a new power plant on the net? I've got a few things to check out locally, some people to talk to. Junk yards, you know... but anything would help.

Originally posted by killwhytey07
    I asked why my jeep was heating up a couple days ago. Got my answer today and I'm pretty bummed. Cracked head.
    mega-ouch. when i suggested the symptoms of a bad head gasket, I was really hoping for your sake that wasn't it. but wow...a totally cracked head. that's a bummer.

if i were you i'd keep the jeep no matter what motor you put in it. in my opinion, not worth getting rid of just b/c you can't find an I6 right away.

as far as finding a used motor, I'd say just go with a chevy 350. why the hell not?

there are 2 ways to look at the problem:
    1. it's broken, and I'm not sure if i want to fix it.
    2. it's broken, which gives me an excuse to buy something better to replace it.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Why not just replace the head? It isn't exactly rocket science....find a used head on a jeep in a junk yard (a jeep that has been, say, rear ended, rolled, etc....), swap it out, be happy.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

stroker.
        And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

Thing is, if I were to replace the head, I'm fairly certain the bottom end will go as soon as I drive it. There's deffinantly antifreeze in the oil, which means it's probably been in there for a while, which means that motor is almost certainly shot.

I'm seriously considering something big, 350's a possibility.... thing is, I'm not sure I want to undertake a complete swap of tranny, transfer case, and everything else... I dont even know where to begin. I'm going to see what I can find in the way of motors, and then go from there... I promise though, my duke will never be scrapped... this jeep will live again!

Comment

I would put a used head on it, try to find one that does not need a valve job. It should not cost more than a couple of hundred. Drive it while getting the parts together for an upgrade. These Jeep motors will keep going and going even when worn out. Take it easy on the repaired motor and do not drive it on extended trips. It may last a while with minimum work and $$.
            Good Luck
            T
            456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

Originally posted by Brice
              stroker.
              :gun: it's the most logical excuse

EDIT: or diesel
              Bryan
              2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
              front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
              Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

Comment

the head job idea isnt bad. I'm heading over to the junk yard tomorrow to see what I can find, I'll definantly look into that, thanks!

And believe me, I've wanted a turbo-diesel jeep ever since I drove my friends power stroke... someday...

Comment

Working...
                X