Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment

So after this weekend's trip, I noticed that my steering wheel is not longer sitting straight when driving straight. Make sense?

Any ideas on what I might have bent? Gonna be taking it in sometime this week, but if anyone has any ideas that would help me out before then, that would be great.

Also, any advice on aftermarket/stronger steering components that might prevent something like this would also be appreciated. I know this is tough, since I dont even know if I bent anything yet.

Thanks in advance!

Tie rod.
    Drag link.

Maybe pitman arm.

My steering wheel did the same thing when I did this:

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6657

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56116_200.htm

Comment

Steering wheel

If your vehicle is tracking straight (not pulling to one side) you can get the wheel to line up properly by adjusting the linkage to the pitman arm. There is also a posibilty that your tir rod ends are startung to show signs of wear. Grab the linkage and if you can twist the rod with very little resistance that is the sign.

Comment

Thanks to Chris85710!!! He stopped by and took a peek. Nothing looks bent, so that is a good thing. Just going to take it in for an alignment.

Comment

Steering often gets goosed up after a day of 4 wheelin.

As long as nothing is bent then it's normally OK. It's just the bushings and such getting pushed around.

When you get it aligned measure the toe in at home. Then next time you can give it a tweek yourself. Shops use all kinds of bling bling lasers these days but for a jeep a piece of string or a straight edge is good enough.
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Banana
            Thanks to Chris85710!!! He stopped by and took a peek. Nothing looks bent, so that is a good thing. Just going to take it in for an alignment.
            Do your own alignment, very easy to do and it will save you a bunch of $
            [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Check out Firestone, they used to offer a special **life time alignments** for like $120 it is alot at first but well worth it over the long run. Normal use of jeep= funky steering wheels. They didnt even notice when my 99 white sport turned into an 02 black X , Lets see if they now notice an 82 scrambler
              Head nut at Outdoorlogic
              Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
              www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by Banana
                If nothing looks bent, then both of you need your eyes checked.

The draglink has a very pronounced bend in it where the tie rod intersects it. Since your rig is fairly new, it's unlikely you have any wear issues and what you have done instead is take some of the bend out of the draglink.

This is also indicated by your steering wheel being over to the left and needing to rotate clockwise to be centered again. Of course you could also do an accurate toe check to find that your toe is no longer in spec being toed out or straight instead of being toed in.

Re-bend the draglink before you start rubbing on the stabilizer bracket, swaybar link bracket, trackbar bracket and snivelling like miguelitojeep97 because you wish to circumvent conventional wisdom by not installing the Currie HD set-up.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                X