Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIAA+Winch+Optima= Newby Headaches

Hola guys and gals! Another chilly day here in Tucson.

So I have been trolling the boards lately looking for advice on the electrical side of things for installing some PIAA 520's along with a soon to be purchased Warn winch (thinking that the M8000 will be just fine for me).

I already have an Optima Yellow Top in the Jeep. I am going to wait until I have everything that I need before I start the installs. Here is where I need some help.

What in God's name do I need????

I have read about things like extra fuse boxes, higher output alternators, installing starters on side posts and everything else on the top posts, etc. I somewhat understand what you all mean by that...I will get to my confusion about that in a second. First, some questions:

1) Is my stock 117 AMP alternator going to be enough
    2) For the side posts on the Optima...do I just purchase some GM screw type terminals for those?
    3) Looking at the wiring harness for the PIAA's, the white-positive lead with the little "eyelit" circle looking connector thingy (that really is the technical name for it you know) that goes to the positive terminal on the battery is in NO way going to fit over the positive terminal post. So do I hack up the wiring harness and attach a bigger eyelit circle looking connector thingy that will fit over the battery post?

As far as the winch goes, I have NO idea what the connections on that thing look like, so that is why I am A) waiting until I have everything to start the install, and B) asking you all what you would recommend.

Poor Aston is going to kill me this weekend with all of my questions that I have for him (he graciously volunteered to take me for my virgin off roading class this weekend), so I figured I would start now and maybe save him some grief. Does McDonalds serve :beer: that early in the morning????

Thanks everyone in advance. Sorry for the novel.

Originally posted by Banana
    Poor Aston is going to blah blah blah
    OOps I missed some of that...I think your CB is cutting out

Starter on the side posts, winch on the main posts. Any battery bolts will work as long as they are clean and shiny.

Alt is OK.

Get some oversize eyelets and solder them on the wire. Terminate on battery bolts or under the main power feed to the dist panel.

See http://www.wranglernw.com/ for BH battery terminals.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
    X